How would you change this garden design

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone, how would you change the design of my garden? It's SW-facing in New York, Zone 6B.

I've lived in my house for two years and love gardening. I started converting my lawn into a perennial garden and left what the previous owners have done and can't help but think it's a hodgepodge. I'd love to update the layout to improve the look and feel of the garden.

A few thoughts:
1. What's the right way to mix perennials and evergreens? I love evergreen especially for color in the winter months.
2. What are your staples that deer generally avoid? I find my deer love sedum, young echinacea, and sometimes hydrangeas.
3. What aesthetic updates would you make in general? I'm a big fan of naturalist gardens that mix grasses + perennials.

Thank you for any help!

Photo Jul 01 2024, 11 04 31 AM-min.jpg

Photo Jul 01 2024, 11 04 33 AM-min.jpg

Photo Jul 01 2024, 11 04 47 AM-min.jpg

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Well that's a pretty house & you're right that hodge podge is a good word for how the plants are layed out. If you want privacy then you want tall plants, a low wall or a hedge at the roads edge, but if you want curb apeal then you plant the plants that will be tall at maturity nearer to the house framing the windows. So the 2 grasses over time will get massive & completely block that beautiful window scape on your house as will the hydrangea, unless it is a dwarf low growing variety. Are you planing to put a fence in for privacy, or is your main goal to work on the aesthetics? That left corner of your house in the first picture could really bennefit from a tree. If you like connifers a spiraled cypress could be quite pretty there or a blue drapping atlass cedar in a pot, so you can plant it farther from the house long term. Near the house I would plant some things with hight to frame the windows and something that will grow to about a foot below the bottom edge of your windows near the house. Then you could take the existing plants & replant & reposition them into a more tiered placement for their final growth height. In general take a diagonal line from both corners to the center walk as well as a straight line from the center point of the windows to the viewing point at the curb. Then you teir the plants by height to those 2 final points at the road tallest to shortest. In the center of the planters, mid way to the road you can also place a decoration, a pot or taller plant that catches the eye, but is still shorter than at least midway up your windows. You can also choose to make short path edging or a line of taller plants. That's how I generally start to design a space. You can let everything go a bit wild and thick then. You just want to pair perenials and conifers that don't compete with eachother & guild well & whose colors & textures through the seasons compliment eachother. The best way to repell deer is through having a fence, but you can also intersperse things like aliums, chrysanthemum, & other pungent herbs to deter their nibbling. Your little lawn there could also bennefit from a well defined edger.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well that's a pretty house & you're right that hodge podge is a good word for how the plants are layed out. If you want privacy then you want tall plants, a low wall or a hedge at the roads edge, but if you want curb apeal then you plant the plants that will be tall at maturity nearer to the house framing the windows. So the 2 grasses over time will get massive & completely block that beautiful window scape on your house as will the hydrangea, unless it is a dwarf low growing variety. Are you planing to put a fence in for privacy, or is your main goal to work on the aesthetics? That left corner of your house in the first picture could really bennefit from a tree. If you like connifers a spiraled cypress could be quite pretty there or a blue drapping atlass cedar in a pot, so you can plant it farther from the house long term. Near the house I would plant some things with hight to frame the windows and something that will grow to about a foot below the bottom edge of your windows near the house. Then you could take the existing plants & replant & reposition them into a more tiered placement for their final growth height. In general take a diagonal line from both corners to the center walk as well as a straight line from the center point of the windows to the viewing point at the curb. Then you teir the plants by height to those 2 final points at the road tallest to shortest. In the center of the planters, mid way to the road you can also place a decoration, a pot or taller plant that catches the eye, but is still shorter than at least midway up your windows. You can also choose to make short path edging or a line of taller plants. That's how I generally start to design a space. You can let everything go a bit wild and thick then. You just want to pair perenials and conifers that don't compete with eachother & guild well & whose colors & textures through the seasons compliment eachother. The best way to repell deer is through having a fence, but you can also intersperse things like aliums, chrysanthemum, & other pungent herbs to deter their nibbling. Your little lawn there could also bennefit from a well defined edger.

Wow, thank you for the tips. I did not think to establish lines of sight, which would help with how the garden feels. I'll keep these in mind while I plan out the next change. Are there any evergreens you think would be nice to go up to the height of the windowsill? Or not sure if I should try perennials instead.

Ginger with Roots

Ginger with Roots
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I love your house! You have great bones to work with in your yard; lucky you! Simply pruning/cleaning up/edging and mulching would make a big difference until you're ready for major changes. I agree with Mystic Moon Tree's advice. I might add that your existing plants are fairly similar in green color and tend to blur together. Consider adding some variegated bushes or burgandy leafed ones for contrast. What a beautiful property-so peaceful!

Ask a Question