How to Stop My Kitchen Basil Plant from Drying Out?

Reaction score
Country
Poland
Hi everyone!

I have a basil plant in my kitchen, but it keeps drying out despite my efforts to care for it. I water it regularly, but the leaves still turn brown and wilt.

Does anyone have tips on how to keep basil healthy indoors? Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi everyone!

I have a basil plant in my kitchen, but it keeps drying out despite my efforts to care for it. I water it regularly, but the leaves still turn brown and wilt.

Does anyone have tips on how to keep basil healthy indoors? Am I doing something wrong? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
instead of "watering frequently", water only when the soil dries out on top, as It's not possible to know how frequent frequently is.

Then provide Humidity. Put it on a tray about 1 1/2- 2" deep, put a layer of pebbles in the bottom of the tray and fill it with water. Put the pot on top of the pebbles. The evaporation will humidify the air around the plant. Also, fill a misting bottle with water and mist it morning, afternoon and before bed to keep it humidified. Dry heat from your furnace and cooking heat will dry the leaves out from the tips on backward until they brown and fall off.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The larger the pot the better, within reasonable limits. :) Mine have been finishing up in the greenhouse and the roots are curled round the bottom of quite fair size pots when I tip them out.
Annie' solution with the pebbles is a best case, but even a largish saucer under it and make sure it has water in it when you water is better than nothing.

Ask a Question