How many asparagus plants should I grow?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I want to have enough to eat asparagus as a side once every two weeks. I currently have 22 plants but won’t be able to harvest any until another year. How many asparagus plants should I grow for 2 people?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
A rule of thumb is 10 to 20 plants per person, so you are within but at the lower end of that old-time rule.

Asparagus is a perennial plant and once established, it will produce for many years...but I also have found it to be "invasive" with new starts showing up in the vicinity of the original planting.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you!! I was unaware of this old time rule. Good to know now. I may double it to 40 since we have the room. So far they seem super easy to grow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Give them a good chance to establish, especially if grown from seed. Some people say leave them six or seven years, but you can harvest small amounts earlier so long as you don't take so much you weaken the plants.

Ask a Question