Horse radish inhibiting seedling growth

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I am having trouble starting vegetable seedlings in a soil mix which contains compost from my compost pile. The seeds either do not germinate or produce stunted slow growing plants with poorly developed root systems.
Today while researching possible causes of the problem I ran across several scientific articles which describe the allopathic effects of several common herbs. The article indicates that substances exuded by horse radish roots have a strong inhibiting effect on the growth of other plants. It turns out that there is a large horse radish plant growing near the compost pile from which I obtained the compost for my seed starting mix and its roots have invaded the compost.
I am certain that this is the cause of my problem and am wondering whether any of you gardeners have had a similar experience or are aware of it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Try screening your mix, by sifting through a window screen to give it a finer texture so the seeds can germinate better. You can take out the compost from horseradish and add something different and see for sure. Very interesting question if you could find the answer.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
I have not had this problem in the past when using a mixture of garden soil and peat moss to start seeds.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Interesting, very interesting. I'm very big on choosing companion/neighbor plants very carefully in the garden...but must admit I haven't heard about horseradish as a partner. Was thinking of maybe growing some this year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
While I can't testify to horseradish specifically (I grow it in it's own container) I have seen a similar effect with cabbage. Both are brassica.

Ask a Question