High salinity water

Reaction score
Country
Indonesia
if tap water is 1.5 ms/cm n im under the assumption that its filtered seawater therefore high salinity, will soil plants suffer or is this still safe levels?
is there anything i can do to remedy this?
Also is there a way i can sort of find out how much or at least the range of NaCl in this water without having it get tested or asking the source (no reply)?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well there are water test kits for sale online and at hardware stores, but you might have to get a specialized one for salinity. I am not sure what is safe in general for most plants, but any plant that naturally grows in ecosystems that are brackish or fully on the coast will not be harmed by salinity in your water. If you find that it hurts your plants, you can set up an evaporative distillation still to make your water safer for you & your plants. The salt residue, depending on potential other contaminants (If its city water I wouldn't recommend), can be gathered and used as a season salt, or salt amendment for plants that do need a little salination. There are brackish salt bay reeds as well that can sequester some salt in permaculture systems.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would periodically test my soil PH and adjust accordingly to suit whatever plants you're growing. My soil is slightly acidic so I add lime to plants that like neutral soil and check the Ph a few times a year to keep it how the plant prefers.

Ask a Question