Hibiscus tree woes for begginer gardener

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 B
Country
United States
I'm not sure what happened to my hibiscus tree but I brought it home and it was absolutely beautiful I repotted it and kept it on my sunny porch after a week or two the leaves started turning yellow and falling off. Then the buds started falling off as well. Unfortunately I didn't know to check for thrips at the time but I did treat if for spider mites with some insecticide. That did little good and soon the tree was completely bare. I was trying to research what I was doing wrong so I knew not to just pitch the trunk in the trash just yet. I did figure out that I didn't remove the drain plug and we took care of that and I continued watering it daily and a few days ago i noticed green buds or sprouts growing so I kept watering and now I definitely see new growth so it's coming back from the dead it's a horticulture miracle for me! The reason for this rambling post is I still don't know what happened to cause it to drop to bare and it's such a beautiful plant if it does make a recovery what can or should I do this time to keep it healthy? I have attached pictures of what it looked like when i repotted it and one I posted on the plant apps I used to diagnose it before it went completely bare. If you want one of current new growth I'm happy to provide that as soon as it's daytime again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240715_011619_Plant Parent.jpg
    Screenshot_20240715_011619_Plant Parent.jpg
    131.5 KB · Views: 3
  • Screenshot_20240715_011940_Plant Parent.jpg
    Screenshot_20240715_011940_Plant Parent.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 3
Reaction score
Country
United States
Overwatering. You said you "removed the drain plug" . Watering daily is never advisable. Plants also need some air in the soil. Water weekly or, if you see the soil is dry in the upper inch of soil, then water enough so that water runs out of the bottom of the pot.

Ask a Question