Hi all English box does anyone know what this pest is killing my hedge , please

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hi
Does anyone know what this on my box hedge please ?

Attachments

• IMG_7825.jpeg
    IMG_7825.jpeg
    303.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_7822.jpeg
    IMG_7822.jpeg
    348.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_7820.jpeg
    IMG_7820.jpeg
    308.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_7823.jpeg
    IMG_7823.jpeg
    270.6 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_7821.jpeg
    IMG_7821.jpeg
    303.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_7824.jpeg
    IMG_7824.jpeg
    306.9 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like early stages of box blight, the only other real problem it has is box moth caterpillar which gather in groups and wind silk around themselves, quite distinct. Here's what the RHS says,

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Hello
Thank you for replying much appreciated . I always get winter burn here in Victoria Australia which has been mistaken for blight years ago in the same hedges .
They are re shooting everywhere going absolutely crazy with new growth . Is that definitely caterpillar ? If so how would I treat caterpillar please ?
Thank you
Elizabeth .

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks like your box hedge is infested with scale insects, specifically armored scales. These insects attach themselves to the leaves and stems, appearing as small, circular or oval, shell-like bumps (which you can see in your photos).

Scale insects feed on plant sap, which can weaken your plant over time, causing yellowing, stunted growth, and potentially even death if left untreated. Here's what you can do:

1. Manual Removal: If the infestation is mild, you can try to remove the scales by hand using a soft brush or a cloth.
  2. Insecticidal Soap: Spray the plant with insecticidal soap or horticultural oil. This can suffocate the insects without harming the plant.
  3. Pruning: Trim heavily infested branches to prevent the scales from spreading further.
  4. Natural Predators: Introducing ladybugs or parasitic wasps can help control the scale population naturally.
If you're unsure or the infestation is severe, it might be a good idea to consult a local garden expert for specific advice.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Thank you for replying much appreciated . I always get winter burn here in Victoria Australia which has been mistaken for blight years ago in the same hedges .
They are re shooting everywhere going absolutely crazy with new growth . Is that definitely caterpillar ? If so how would I treat caterpillar please ?
Thank you
Elizabeth .
Sorry, a misunderstanding. I thought box blight because the only other common disease I know of in box plants is box moth, and it doesn't look like that, no caterpillars in congregated with silk around them.

Ask a Question