Help transform a problem patch!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please can you suggest what we can do with this strategically important patch of ground? It is immediately to the right of the front door of my late father's house, which we are preparing to sell as soon as probate is granted.

A major issue is that the ground is jammed solid with rootstock of various kinds, which is also likely to be associated with a huge old Virginia Creeper whose main root runs under this plot.

* Is it possible to dig over the ground with a tool of some sort?
* Should I give it up as a lost cause and make some kind of rockery with any ground covered with chips of some kind?

Another issue is that I had to take a box hedge out as it sadly succumbed to box blight. There are a few remaining stumps to take out and I haven't yet figured out how to do this and there are more roots from these plants too.

It's especially important as this patch is the first thing you see when approaching the property.

Some photos are included below. I'd be happy to answer any queries.

Your advice and guidance would be very welcome and much appreciated!

20240611_175542.jpg

20240611_175601.jpg

Attachments

• 20240611_175548.jpg
    20240611_175548.jpg
    579.3 KB · Views: 12
  • 20240611_175601.jpg
    20240611_175601.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Country
United States
I think, if I just wanted it to look pretty for now, I would dig out enough room to plant a groundcover plant. Whatever grows well in your area and in the sun or shade you have there will doll it up. You might have to get enough of it to plant the area closely and then mulch it with whatever you prefer for mulch.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi,
You could use a grubbing hoe to remove the roots as possibility. You could also cover the area with weed fabric and then cover that with River Stone and place a nice urn in the center and plant some color flowers in that. That would look nice and give a nice pop at the entrance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had the same issue with a patch of my garden that had been ruined by constant shade and lack of water. I wanted a quick cheap fix for the time being until I can fully re do it. I just went to Wickes and got some out door flooring and some plants to cover the area and make it pretty to look at! I also found a Wickes discount code that saved me even more money. https://www.lovediscountvouchers.co.uk/wickes

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Well... Virginia creeper is a problem, because it comes back mercillessly from what I hear. You may want to dig the roots out & maybe rent a machine that mulches stumps or a tiller, but you don't have to, if that's too expensive for a house you are trying to sell.

Suggestion # 1: I would treat the area with a natural antifungal, since you knew blight was there, & lay down black garden plastic, or weed cloth. Build up the planter wall with an edger that is pretty like wood, stone, brick, etc. Toss in a bag or 2 of potting mix and plant some varrieties of flowering plants known for shallow roots, some ground cover, a couple taller growing plants near the back and a focal plant, a garden decoration, or potted plant in the center that will be the focal of the planter. Suggestion #2: plant pioneer plants with taproots that will break up the roots for you & heal the soil. Place a sign that says "garden healing in progress" and tell the new owners how long to manage the pioneers, until the bed is restored and they can replant it with their choice of plants. Suggestion #3: Plant a rugged hedge that grows naturally in hard packed soils or through rocky landscapes. It will not be bothered as much by the existing obstacles from the previous occupants.

If you just cover it with river rock or something like that, its not really a planter anymore. But there are lots of creative decorative options you can try. Just avoid planting plants that will grow too large in the space over the long term, or that have growth behavior that will hurt the house if planted too close i.e. tree roots that hurt foundations, or bushes that can't be heavily pruned to that size space as they age.

Ask a Question