Help! This is covering my pumpkin leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
What the heck is this? It's very rough like sandpaper. Covering the vines, buds & leaves of my pumpkins.
1000002682.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Not sure without xcloseup pictures but the yellow things are eggs and the little white things are immature insects. Spray with Neem Oil either in the early AM or just before sunset. If I were to guess I would say they are aphids.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like aphips on the first picture, then black fly on the blooms. Like Chuck said, spray with neem oil then order yourself some lady bugs. Lady bugs devour those and you must be without any.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You can blast the aphids off your plants with plain old water.
Neem oil isn't great for ladybugs or butterflies or other garden friends, no matter how many people will tell you it is.
Plus: It's actually the ladybug nymphs (juveniles) that are the voracious consumers of aphids.
You can spend money on ladybugs, but be warned that they will fly off if you don't have plenty of "food" for them.
Try water is my suggestion. Early morning.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, I tried blasting them with the hose & I could tell that it did clear some off. I got really busy yesterday & today. By the time I checked them today I noticed that the same aphids & black fly had jumped over to the next raised bed containing 7 of my favorite David Austen roses. I about had a heart attack. While I was hoping to produce "shock & awe", I ripped out all my pumpkin vines to put in the burn pile. I hosed down the roses & I'll go get ladybugs tomorrow. Other than that, I don't know what else to do. Even with Neem oil I put on the roses, it transferred over. Now that the pumpkin raised bed is cleared you can see that beige sand-like substance lying on the bed/mulch. Should I burn it off?

Reaction score
Country
United States
You wouldn't want to burn your raised beds. I think scooping it off with a flat shovel and putting it into a garbage bag, then into the trash would be a better idea. Then you could use pyrethrum powder to kill whatever is left. It's organic and made from crysanthemums.

Reaction score
Country
United States
You wouldn't want to burn your raised beds. I think scooping it off with a flat shovel and putting it into a garbage bag, then into the trash would be a better idea. Then you could use pyrethrum powder to kill whatever is left. It's organic and made from crysanthemums.
Thanks!

Ask a Question