Help planning my pollinator friendly native garden.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My back yard is relatively flat, and the only thing dividing my yard from the neighbors behind me is a chain link fence. In an effort to:
  1. Hide the ugly fence
  2. Attract and therefore feed and nurture bees, butterflies, and other pollinators
  3. Keep to plants and trees that are native to Eastern Missouri (Zone 6B)
  4. Have something pretty to look at when I'm working from home
I would like to plant a variety of flowering plants that will give me blooms from Spring to Fall. I would like to plant at least one tree that is not too big. I was thinking plum, but I'm worried about the right conditions to bear fruit. There is a peach tree (I'm not sure what variety) on one side of the yard that bears very little fruit (two berries this year), so I wonder if it would be better to plant another peach to help with cross pollination. As for the rest I just want a variety of purples, pinks, yellows, and red with a variety of blooming seasons so I have color from April to October.

I intend to do everything from starter plants, as I have never been successful planting anything from seeds (not the greenest thumb have I) Any advice you can give will be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question