HELP! Japanese Maple

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I’m a new homeowner and bought a relatively young Japanese Maple from my local garden centre. The tree looked really healthy when planted and for a few weeks after, but recently it looks terrible and is losing all of its leaves. 🙁

Can anyone help or is the tree past saving? Any advice appreciated! Before and after pics below.

Thanks so much!

Attachments

• IMG_8259.jpeg
    IMG_8259.jpeg
    468.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8593.jpeg
    IMG_8593.jpeg
    445.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8594.jpeg
    IMG_8594.jpeg
    442.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Leaf drop shouldn't happen for at least another month, though trees in pots do tend to drop leaves earlier. I am also wondering if transplanting might have brought it forward a bit? The fact that it had already changed colour makes me think it is probably something like this, and it will come back fine in Spring. When it looks properly dormant scratch a twig with a finger nail, you can soon tell if it is dry and dead or living underneath, don't go too mad and do damage.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree with Olly. It's most likely transplant shock and since it will be going into dormancy I wouldn't worry too much. Chances are that it will be fine and leaf out as normal next spring.

Just be sure it's properly staked. A good sized stake put in the ground at a 45 degree angle to the trunk, at about 30-36" from the ground to keep the tree from toppling over in high winds is best. You want the limbs to be able to move but the trunk not to wabble at the rootball and cause wind-rock which will expose the roots and damage them. A stick parallel to the trunk isn't sufficient.

1727009403929.png

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't feed it. It's going into dormany so it doesn't need fertilizer until it leafs out in Spring. It needs an inch of rainfall per week. If it doesn't rain in a week, water it deeply to get water lower than the root ball, until you get your first hard frost then unless it you are in drought you don't need to water it until spring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know it's not as wet up the top there as it is along the West coast, but like Annie says leave it be 'til Spring. The support is an excellent idea though, use a proper tie so it won't restrict the trunk as it grows.

Ask a Question