Help! Can someone help me identify these bugs killing my plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have tried everything to get rid of these bugs without luck. They are killing my plants. I believe they lay these jelly looking eggs see pictures. I tried to get pictures of bugs but are very small. Posting damaged plants as well

Attachments

• IMG_5547.jpeg
    IMG_5547.jpeg
    316.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_5541.jpeg
    IMG_5541.jpeg
    302.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_5549.jpeg
    IMG_5549.jpeg
    413.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_5554.jpeg
    IMG_5554.jpeg
    333.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5548.jpeg
    IMG_5548.jpeg
    32.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5560.jpeg
    IMG_5560.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5561.jpeg
    IMG_5561.jpeg
    250.6 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5543.jpeg
    IMG_5543.jpeg
    310.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_5546.jpeg
    IMG_5546.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5550.jpeg
    IMG_5550.jpeg
    370.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5552.jpeg
    IMG_5552.jpeg
    502.2 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10 - 11
Country
Saint Kitts And Nevis
I am going to post what I my request through AI believe they may be using your photos as a directional.The small, round, translucent objects in the photo you provided appear to be either insect eggs or slow-release fertilizer granules. If these are eggs, they could belong to a variety of garden pests, such as slugs, snails, or insects like beetles or moths.

To determine if they are a pest or not:

Fertilizer Granules: If the objects are hard and consistent in size and shape, they might be slow-release fertilizer pellets, which are harmless and beneficial to your plants.
Insect Eggs: If the objects are soft and vary slightly in size, they are likely insect eggs. In this case, it would be advisable to remove them to prevent potential pest problems.
You can inspect them more closely by gently pressing on one to see if it’s hard (indicating fertilizer) or soft (indicating eggs). If they are insect eggs, you may want to dispose of them to protect your plants.

You said:
If they are pest can you identify what kind of pest and how to treat them?
ChatGPT said:

ChatGPT
If the objects are indeed insect eggs, identifying the specific pest can be challenging without more context, but I'll provide a general overview of some common garden pests that lay eggs similar to what’s in your photo:

1. Slugs and Snails:
Identification: Their eggs are usually small, round, and translucent or whitish.
Treatment:
Hand Removal: Manually remove the eggs and any visible slugs or snails.
Beer Traps: Bury shallow containers filled with beer at ground level; slugs are attracted to the beer and will drown.
Iron Phosphate Baits: Use slug baits that contain iron phosphate, which is safe for pets and wildlife.
Copper Tape/Barriers: Place copper barriers around plants; slugs and snails avoid crossing copper.
2. Fungus Gnats:
Identification: Small, yellowish eggs are laid in moist soil. The larvae feed on organic matter and plant roots.
Treatment:
Reduce Watering: Allow the top layer of soil to dry out between waterings.
Sticky Traps: Place yellow sticky traps around plants to capture adult gnats.
Beneficial Nematodes: Apply nematodes to the soil; they will target and kill larvae.
Hydrogen Peroxide Solution: Mix 1 part hydrogen peroxide with 4 parts water and water the soil with it to kill larvae.
3. Caterpillars (e.g., Moths and Butterflies):
Identification: Eggs can vary in color but are often white or yellowish and can be found in clusters.
Treatment:
Manual Removal: Inspect plants and manually remove eggs and caterpillars.
Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt): A natural bacteria that targets caterpillars when sprayed on plants.
Neem Oil: An organic pesticide that works on a wide variety of pests, including caterpillars.
4. Beetles:
Identification: Beetle eggs are often laid in clusters on or just below the soil surface and can vary in color.
Treatment:
Handpicking: Remove any visible beetles or larvae.
Neem Oil or Insecticidal Soap: These can be applied to the soil or plants to kill beetle larvae.
Diatomaceous Earth: Sprinkle around the base of plants to kill crawling insects by causing dehydration.
General Tips:
Inspect Regularly: Regularly check your garden for eggs and pests, especially under leaves and in the soil.
Maintain Healthy Soil: Healthy soil with good drainage can reduce the likelihood of pests.
Use Mulch Carefully: While mulch is beneficial, it can sometimes create a habitat for pests. Keep it well-aerated and avoid piling it too close to plant stems.
If you're unsure or dealing with a severe infestation, it might be worth consulting with a local gardening expert or extension service to get a more precise identification and treatment plan.

ChatGPT can make mistakes. Check important info.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10 - 11
Country
Saint Kitts And Nevis
I asked AI to look at the photo and this was the results.
The small, round, translucent objects in the photo you provided appear to be either insect eggs or slow-release fertilizer granules. If these are eggs, they could belong to a variety of garden pests, such as slugs, snails, or insects like beetles or moths.
To determine if they are a pest or not:
  1. Fertilizer Granules: If the objects are hard and consistent in size and shape, they might be slow-release fertilizer pellets, which are harmless and beneficial to your plants.
  2. Insect Eggs: If the objects are soft and vary slightly in size, they are likely insect eggs. In this case, it would be advisable to remove them to prevent potential pest problems.
You can inspect them more closely by gently pressing on one to see if it’s hard (indicating fertilizer) or soft (indicating eggs). If they are insect eggs, you may want to dispose of them to protect your plants.

4o

You said:​

If they are pest can you identify what kind of pest and how to treat them?

ChatGPT said:​

If the objects are indeed insect eggs, identifying the specific pest can be challenging without more context, but I'll provide a general overview of some common garden pests that lay eggs similar to what’s in your photo:

1. Slugs and Snails:

• Identification: Their eggs are usually small, round, and translucent or whitish.
  • Treatment:
    • Hand Removal: Manually remove the eggs and any visible slugs or snails.
    • Beer Traps: Bury shallow containers filled with beer at ground level; slugs are attracted to the beer and will drown.
    • Iron Phosphate Baits: Use slug baits that contain iron phosphate, which is safe for pets and wildlife.
    • Copper Tape/Barriers: Place copper barriers around plants; slugs and snails avoid crossing copper.

2. Fungus Gnats:

• Identification: Small, yellowish eggs are laid in moist soil. The larvae feed on organic matter and plant roots.
  • Treatment:
    • Reduce Watering: Allow the top layer of soil to dry out between waterings.
    • Sticky Traps: Place yellow sticky traps around plants to capture adult gnats.
    • Beneficial Nematodes: Apply nematodes to the soil; they will target and kill larvae.
    • Hydrogen Peroxide Solution: Mix 1 part hydrogen peroxide with 4 parts water and water the soil with it to kill larvae.

3. Caterpillars (e.g., Moths and Butterflies):

• Identification: Eggs can vary in color but are often white or yellowish and can be found in clusters.
  • Treatment:
    • Manual Removal: Inspect plants and manually remove eggs and caterpillars.
    • Bacillus thuringiensis (Bt): A natural bacteria that targets caterpillars when sprayed on plants.
    • Neem Oil: An organic pesticide that works on a wide variety of pests, including caterpillars.

4. Beetles:

• Identification: Beetle eggs are often laid in clusters on or just below the soil surface and can vary in color.
  • Treatment:
    • Handpicking: Remove any visible beetles or larvae.
    • Neem Oil or Insecticidal Soap: These can be applied to the soil or plants to kill beetle larvae.
    • Diatomaceous Earth: Sprinkle around the base of plants to kill crawling insects by causing dehydration.

General Tips:​

• Inspect Regularly: Regularly check your garden for eggs and pests, especially under leaves and in the soil.
  • Maintain Healthy Soil: Healthy soil with good drainage can reduce the likelihood of pests.
  • Use Mulch Carefully: While mulch is beneficial, it can sometimes create a habitat for pests. Keep it well-aerated and avoid piling it too close to plant stems.
If you're unsure or dealing with a severe infestation, it might be worth consulting with a local gardening expert or extension service to get a more precise identification and treatment plan.

4o

ChatGPT can make mistakes. Check important info.

Ask a Question