Hello from Kansas!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey everyone! I stumbled upon this forum after desiring to learn how to specifically grow herbs indoors (for now.) Years ago I was diagnosed with gastroesophageal reflux disease and have always had a "bad" stomach. Well, I decided to take my health more seriously and not just eat stuff that upset my stomach and take meds and instead eat healthy and use herbs a lot more in my cooking which adds great flavor without the acid reflux and what not. But, it's kind of expensive buying herbs at the store so.. why not grow my own?!

If anyone can recommend areas of the forum here or good resources on getting started with growing herbs indoors, I'd appreciate it. My first venture is basil because I've been eating a ton of pesto (I'm not sure you can call it pesto.. well technically you can.. without the garlic) and it's getting expensive. I have two basil projects going. Some cutlings in dirt and solo plastic cups and some cutlings in water. I'll likely buy a more mature basil plant from a nursery soon so should have a lot of going on with basil soon enough.

But, I'd like to grow other herbs too!

Anyway, I'm in Kansas and don't really have outdoor space any way so everything will be indoors.

Thanks to everyone for reading this and any future help. Look forward to learning from you all!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forum.

If you grow herbs from seed it's way cheaper than plants. You just need to grow them in pots outside in spring, then you can pick and dry thee leaves and save the leaves to use in whatever you like. You cut the plant back, dry and store those leaves and the plant grows more. Growing instructions are on the packets.

Most all your herbs need to grow in full sun EXCEPT for Parsley which likes shade so that will grow inside in bright light and is the best herb for digestive issues.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Annie beat me to it, basil grows well from seed. It is an annual, so you can soon get your own seed, and even if not seed is cheap.
Over here in the UK a lot of supermarkets sell 'living' herbs, thyme, sage etc.. They are usually grown from seed sown much too thickly, but I have had good success separating them and planting out to grow on.
My experience is that thyme and rosemary don't like pots much, but take off when put in the ground, parsley seems to grow best from self sown seed, I grow a pot and stand it where I want the next year's when it flowers, it is a biennial, grows leaves only the first year and flowers in the second, then dies.
Have you considered 'Guerrilla gardening', using an odd bit of unused land? You wouldn't need much for herbs. If you grow from self saved seed it will cost you nothing to try, bought seed not a lot more, and herbs are not as attention grabbing as flowers, though you may always find someone else has harvested them.
Welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I hope to grow everything. I did a quick Google search last night and all I saw was that rosemary might be tricky.

I'm new to this so have a lot to learn!

Do you ask about parsley specifically for any particular reason?
My grandparents and my mother have grown parsley in their gardens for years.

Ask a Question