Hello evryone, my name is Huw.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if I could ask for some advice please. Some 2 months ago I took 4 clematis cuttings (President), put them in pots and covered them with a plastic bag each. Three took well and in a short time I had new leaves growing at the nodes. After 3-4 weeks I removed the plastic bags. In an hour or two the healthy young leaves looked wilted so I replaced the bags and they revived. Last night - some eight weeks after I originally took the cuttings - even though I couldn't see any new roots at the bottom of the pots, the leaves looked robust enough, so I took the bags off. By this morning the new leaves looked in a bad way, and though I put them back in bags I don't think they'll survive. What am I doing wrong here? They should be OK to survive without the bags after 4 weeks. I'd be very grateful for any advice. Thank you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Huw, welcome.

It takes a long time with some plants for roots to become sufficiently developed to support the cutting. Wait until you see roots coming out the holes in the bottom of the pot before you go further with it. Then introduce the plant slowly to ambient temps' ie; poke holes in the plastic and reduce humidity slowly before removing the bag all together.

Ask a Question