Hello and two questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I’m looking for a bit of advice on two gardening issues, if anyone would be so kind to share their knowledge.

So, firstly. I know nothing about gardening really, but liked the idea of growing veg, so last autumn I got a kit off Amazon with a few different veg, they didn’t really take, so I shoved them in the soil, and forgot about them. Now I’ve discovered, my two leeks have gone to seed, so I’d like to use the seeds to grow leeks. What do I do? Leave them to flower as they are now, then cut the head off for the seeds once the flower is dead? When do I plant the seeds to grow new leeks? And when?

And secondly, me and my husband wanted grass at front of house, not the massive bedding areas and gravel, so we’ve spent loads of time prepping the ground ready for top soil and lawn. You can see before and now pics. Anyway, I’ve picked out so many bulbs, weeds, knotted ground - every time I use the spade to turn over new soil, there’s literally hundreds of bulbs. I can’t get them all out. Is there a weed killer I can put on the soil? I’m getting grass in a couple of weeks, but will the weed killer stop grass growing? I’m worried all the bulbs will just push through the grass.

I know that was more than two questions. Sorry. I should have said, two issues.

Thanks so much.

Attachments

• IMG_8462.jpeg
    IMG_8462.jpeg
    252 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8449.jpeg
    IMG_8449.jpeg
    429.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8448.jpeg
    IMG_8448.jpeg
    345.4 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Sweeties, your first statement----"I know nothing about gardening is so sweet" So before you waste money buying seeds, plants etc. get a book or books, Gardening for Dumbies. or close to that, and spend time reading it. Go on line, read stuff. There are also books and online long reads on how to grow a lawn. Suggest you do all that. take care.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
do you even know what kinds of bulbs they are ? I have a front section of my lawn in the spring, my low bulbs come through and I get a beautiful carpet of blue. Weeks later I just mow my grass like normal. The blue are all done flowering.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya. The people who lived here before had it like a slow fireworks display, with crocuses, daffodils, tulips coming up right after another, but there’s too much, lots of bushy plants, like millions (ok, hundreds) of bulbs, and weeds too. There was an apple tree too, and so many thick stems of weeds. I’ve spent five or six hours, two weekends running getting out a lot, but I think I could do it another six or seven times and it still wouldn’t get rid.

Ask a Question