Hedge plant in front garden over a buried power cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
I want to plant a screening/ boundary hedge in my front garden in a strip of land which is currently gravelled and about 1m wide. There is a utility power cable serving my property and possibly the neighbour in this strip of land and it appears to be about 0.8m deep.
Am I able to plant a hedge directly above it? Or should I avoid and instead use planter boxes with trestle and grow a climber?
Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I would grow something with a tap root that grows straight down, not something that is shallow rooted and spreads it's roots out and down, and that stays evergreen, BUT, I would move it about 5' away from the underground cable.

Can you grow Italian Cypress where you are? Those are narrow, evergreen, require no pruning, and easily become a very tall hedge but don't get wider than 3 feet across.

Reaction score
Country
Ireland
It’s great that you’re thinking about adding a hedge for screening, but with a utility power cable so close to the surface, it might be risky to plant directly above it. Using planter boxes with a trellis for climbers could be a safer option and still give you the privacy you want. If you’re unsure about the cable’s exact location or safety concerns, it might be worth giving Scottish Power a call to double-check. You can reach their customer service at scottish power phone number for guidance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Scottish Power
He's in London :)
I can't see the power company burying a cable that would be affected by roots, if it were a sewage pipe possibly, they get leaky sometimes, but the sort of fluro-carbon plastics they use on cables are going to have no attraction for roots. The only problem I would anticipate is if they ever want to dig it up they will make a hole in your hedge. Checking with the power company may not be a bad idea if you get someone who knows what they are talking about, otherwise such people are inclined to say "No-way", not because they know, but just to be "On the safe side".

Ask a Question