Hand Pollination

Reaction score
We are seriously thinking about setting up a small aquaponics system in our basement. If we decide to go the route of sitting it up in the basement we will have to hand pollinate the veggies/fruits. Does anyone have any experienc with this? I have found a few sites and some of it seems really easy and some of it seems really hard. Can anyone share their experiences?

Reaction score
I don't have any expertise, but depending on the size of the system you have in mind you might be able to avoid the issue by using the growing space for greens, root crops, or other plants that don't depend on insect pollination. Even tomatoes would work - because they are perfect flowers, they self-pollinate with just a little wind. Indoors, this is easily replicated with a fan or even by shaking the blooming plants gently by hand.

I too am interested in hearing others' experiences with hand pollination because I'm starting to dabble in indoor sub-tropicals and will need to pollinate those by hand if I ever want fruit.

Ask a Question