Growing stawberries

Reaction score
Is there a particular strawberry plant that I can plant in the spring and expect to harvest berries in the same year? If I'm reading correctly on the Berpee site, I should have ordered my plants before Nov. 4th, planted them and cut the flowers off this year. They don't now ship new plants till spring. Thanks for your input.
Don

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I buy strawberry plants at the garden center. Unless you live someplace with harsh weather you only have to buy them once because they multiply. There are two kinds of strawberries available most places - June bearing and everbearing. I bought my first two plants spring before last, but they didn't survive.

This past spring I got two more plants and they have multiplied to the point that I am overrun with plants. One plant even has berries on it already. I didn't realize it had flowered or I might have pinched the buds off, but I don't usually do that. I got the plants last spring, but they are available now.

Reaction score
ChanellG,
As I'm in Pennsylvania, I'd say the weather is harsh, so sounds like I need to wait till spring (April 15th is last frost date) to plant, but would like to try starting them indoors as I did with peppers last year. Does that sound like a good idea?
Thanks for your input,
Don

Ask a Question