Garden Envy!

Reaction score
Do any of you experience garden envy? You gotta know what I'm talking about! Our neighbors have such a perfect lawn, everything is sculpted, even the bushes. I just wish I had the time to landscape like that! Then their garden just lights up their whole yard. The houses on our street aren't that fancy, but their garden just makes their house look immaculate! My garden is alright, but it does need some work. Maybe someday I can be someone's garden envy! LOL Do any of you experience garden envy? All with love of course!

Reaction score
LOL - I do have garden envy, but more directed at the houses on our cul-de-sac that have larger yards, so that they can have a beautiful sweeping lawn, and a front garden, and garden plots on both sides of the house. Ours has one of the smaller yards, unfortunately. We took out our front lawn to put in a big garden, because the grass was terrible, and I must say that we have the nicest garden on our street, in my opinion! :D

But no matter how much I love my garden, I see someone else's pretty arrangement, and I think "I want that too!".

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Yes I do suffer from Garden Envy. My envy stems from the fact that I don't have a yard (live in an apartment) and although I do my best to have a pretty garden on my balcony, I am limited. When I walk past homes with beautiful flowers out front and a lovely garden in the backyard, I get very very envious!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't have garden envy:) I have all that I've ever wanted, which is lots and lots of beautiful, miniature roses:D I do hope that in the future I'll have my own garden though. Currently, I live with my parents and athough I can plant what I want, it's still not the same as having my own space.

Reaction score
My envy is the view of the local allotments I can see from my little balcony garden. Down there is a flush of green and they grow things in quantities I can only dream of. Ho-hum, I did apply for one once but am still on the waiting list.

Reaction score
I'm a weirdo so I envy the people that have unique items in their gardens or have houses near the waterfront.

For example, there are some people whose house I pass on the way to shopping, and they have a big, beautiful treehouse, and judging from the location ,you can probably see the lake and ducks from that treehouse.
I would be hanging out there all day if that was my treehouse.
Also, there's a family that has a family of metal abstract people sculptures in their yard, and a purple front door, and a jungle of tropical plants. I think an artist must live there and I think it's such a cool yard.

I totally have garden envy, they're just not the typical rose gardens.

Reaction score
YES! I never used to care, until I grew tons of tomatoes last summer in a drought and nobody else had any. Also, everyone is jealous of our lawn, and that's my husband's doing. This year, though, our tomatoes are not happening!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Garden envy no, but I do salivate when I see large empty lots or yards with nothing but grass in them, lol. The house next door to me has a large yard that doesn't see any use. I would love to be able to acquire even the back half of it to expand my garden growing space. Of course, with more room and more plants comes more work. As it is I already feel like I am putting in a day's work on the farm half the time, lol.

Reaction score
I'm so glad I'm not alone in my garden envy! LOL I knew I couldn't be the only one with a guilty conscience on this one! Thank you for all of the responses so I know I'm not alone! @blueeyes, I definitely feel your pain. We used to live in an apartment complex too, so I wasn't really able to garden outdoors at all. :( We're moving again soon, and having a yard is a must in my book! I love our yard now, but if they're making me move, I'm making sure it's to a place with a great yard! :)

Reaction score
Yes, I totally know what you mean. However, our neighbours are really focused on the flowers and lawn side of gardening, whereas our main focus is on growing vegetables. Our vegetables always look very scruffy, so we just have to try and ignore what the neighbours and doing and focus on the beautiful vegetables that we are eating. :)

Jed

Reaction score
I do suffer from garden envy. Though our gardens are productive they always seem a frightful mess. Some friends of ours grow vegies and fruits and their gardens are immaculate. They seem to have the magic touch of organisation which we greatly lack. :(

Reaction score
nah. i don't live in that kind of neighborhood.

i see things on hgtv and magzines i'd like to copy, but nothing from homes around me. maybe if i go into some of the nicer areas of the city.

maybe i'm talking down my 'hood too much. i mean, the grass is cut and there may be a few flowers and trees or shrubs trimmed up nice, but there's nothing that makes one yard stand out much more than the next. and as for back yards that i can see, i like my own best, but that could be because i had control of what i want there (to the degree of what i could afford and accomplish) so it's to my taste as much as anything else.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Envy no, well maybe just a tinge, but certainly admiration for others who possess a skill I lack.

I gave him a marrow yesterday, which he and his wife will stuff for dinner tonight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
At the moment we both get lawn envy when we see a nice lush green lawn. Ours is really struggling this year, it was aerated about a week ago which should help - time will tell I guess.

Ask a Question