Fungal disease on Rose and Hawthorn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a climbing rose 'Albertine' which has had Rust for the last 2 years. About 3 metres away is a 6 year old Crataegus 'Pauls Scarlet' tree which is also infected with what looks like leaf spot and is losing it's leaves in June/July.
Could these fungal diseases be linked and is there an effective treatment which will save both?
Many thanks for any help.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thankfully, I haven't had to deal with rust here. Just blight & powdery mildew mostly. Some root & stem rot, pests etc. Its entirely possible they're related, if they're like the relationship between fungus gnats and root rot. Usually when you have one, you have the other. So, I treat most of these things with natural & herbal remedies, because the garden store options are either chemicals with undesireable side effects, or don't work. Have you already tried something as simple as a diluted dawn dishsoap folliars spray on a cooler day reapplied every 10 days for a couple applications?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've tried nothing yet but a natural remedy seems a good way to start ,especially with a product we already have in the house!
We are having a small heatwave here at the moment so I'll wait until it cools down and hope there are still some leaves left on the plants.
Thanks for the info.

Reaction score
Country
United States
No problem. Roses and hawthorn are related, so likely susceptible to a lot of the same diseases. If that doesn't work let me know. I have other more complicated options ☺️ Also, you can treat at night and wash off before the heat of the day.

Ask a Question