Full Shade

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a fence that is in full shade once the trees fill up with leaves. And I do mean "full shade" due to a canopy from a group of trees. Almost no sun gets through during the Summer, at any time of the day. I research perennials to plant that will climb on the fence. I type "FULL SHADE", get results and then when I research, other sites say the options need partial sun. No two sites agree on ANYTHING . So I come back to the experts...what kind of climbing vine will grow in full shade in the Summer (plenty of full sun the rest of the year). I would perfer flowering, but beggers can't be choosey. TYVM

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok fair enough. So how about ANYTHING that will grow in full shade, does not have to be a vine, or climber. Its just that a neighbor gave me some five foot trellises that would look nice in the middle of each section of the fence. So imagime a chain link fence with a trellis in each section... what would look nice growing on, at, near, around...them ? But a warning, I live across from a river with woods so I have a ton of deer, rabbits, fox, wile e coyote, and a ton of critters that could feast on the plants. I know I am asking a lot but I get an idea in my head and I get stubborn. ty again

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
As an old gardener and one that hates wasting money on things that will not work in the garden. I am visualizing taking those trellis, anchoring them to the chain leak fence, paint them crazy colors and hammer huge colorful daisy flowers on them, and or several colorful bird houses.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, so apparantly its not gonna work as I had hoped:cool: I already have birdhouses on a lot of the trees, and the birds come out when I play my guitar. I like to think they are singing, but in reality I think they are yelling at me to Shut the **** up:cautious: So, thank you for your feedback, and I will find another use for the trellises

Ask a Question