fuji apple tree

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
hey folks! i bought a fuji apple tree from tractor supply the other day. the tag on it says its good for zones 4-8 and fruits in sept. everywhere i looked on the web for fuji apple it says zone 5 to 8 and fruits in nov. which would be no good in my area. any apple tree experts out there know if this would work in zone 4? our 1st. killing frosts are late sept- early oct.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Steve, we are in central Texas, and one of the few apples we can grow are Fuji, because they can withstand our heat. We pick in late August (a whopping crop of about 8 apples, but the two trees are really young).
I have the awful feeling that a Fuji isn't adapted to northern Maine. Your growing season is shorter, and your first frost is earlier. When we bought our two trees from a fruit tree nursery, the tag said "zones 5-9" and requires a pollinator such as crab apple (a universal pollinator), or Braeburn or Cortland.
If you haven't planted it, take it back to Tractor Supply and get an apple tree that is more adapted to your area. Here is a link to the U. of Maine that has suggested varieties: http://umaine.edu/fruit/growing-fruit-trees-in-maine/selecting-varieties/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
3b
Country
United States
it seems there are 2 types of fuji apples. a southern cultivar (zones 5-9) and a northern cultivar (zones 4-8). found this on strark brothers website. seems i have the northern variety that produces in sept. where yours produces late nov. mine is also self pollinated where the other one needs a separate pollinator.

Ask a Question