Free plant haul!

Reaction score
I was lucky enough to get 2 loads of flowers for free. I filled the back of the mini van up twice with free flowers! My son lived near a woman whose sister owned a green house. She was constantly being given free plants and she had a huge surplus. She was kind enough to share her bounty with me. I was very grateful. Normally I would buy plants at the local home improvement store or Walmart but this year we have been strapped for cash. I jumped on the chance to bring these beauties home with me. We got most of them planted and I shared some with my Mama and my Aunt Helen. All three of us were very pleased with the flowers. Here is a picture of some of them.

Attachments

• free plants 002.JPG
    free plants 002.JPG
    161.8 KB · Views: 368
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They're gorgeous! Lucky you, I would love to get so many beautiful flowers too. Getting new plants always makes me very happy:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How awesome! My mom bought one of those bedding "flats" of flowers - it's like the six packs in the little starter things, but bigger... Anyway, I told her I wanted a few of them. There were maybe six cells with plants in them. As I started repotting them it was no surprise to have more than one plant in the same cell, but with these there is often three of four plants... talk about surplus!

Many of the marigolds are either done with the sun/heat or have been chewed/slimed out of existence by snails and cutworms so I at least will get to re-use some pots. Sifting the compost by hand has been beyond tedious, so I've already used up what I sifted and there's a whole lot more waiting in the bin. Plan to dedicate a big part of the morning to the yard today.

Reaction score
Those are beautiful. What a blessing that the lady with the greenhouse was kind enough to share with you. It was nice of you to share with your mom and aunt.

Reaction score
They're gorgeous! Lucky you, I would love to get so many beautiful flowers too. Getting new plants always makes me very happy:D

I love new plants too. They were just in time for my hubbys Father's Day gift. He wanted to plant some flowers around one of the trees in the front yard and these fit the bill perfectly.

Reaction score
How awesome! My mom bought one of those bedding "flats" of flowers - it's like the six packs in the little starter things, but bigger... Anyway, I told her I wanted a few of them. There were maybe six cells with plants in them. As I started repotting them it was no surprise to have more than one plant in the same cell, but with these there is often three of four plants... talk about surplus!

Many of the marigolds are either done with the sun/heat or have been chewed/slimed out of existence by snails and cutworms so I at least will get to re-use some pots. Sifting the compost by hand has been beyond tedious, so I've already used up what I sifted and there's a whole lot more waiting in the bin. Plan to dedicate a big part of the morning to the yard today.

Yes getting flowers with doubles in the trays are great. I do often look for such plants when I am buying them. :D

Those are beautiful. What a blessing that the lady with the greenhouse was kind enough to share with you. It was nice of you to share with your mom and aunt.

Yes they are. Thank you very much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love new plants too. They were just in time for my hubbys Father's Day gift. He wanted to plant some flowers around one of the trees in the front yard and these fit the bill perfectly.
Oh, I'm sure that the plants look lovely around the tree:D. Maybe you could take some pictures and share them with us? In my dream garden I would have lots and lots of trees and I would plant beautiful flowers around every one of them. It's so romantic:D

Reaction score
Oh, I'm sure that the plants look lovely around the tree:D. Maybe you could take some pictures and share them with us? In my dream garden I would have lots and lots of trees and I would plant beautiful flowers around every one of them. It's so romantic:D

I will try to get a picture of it and post it! Perhaps if the rain stays away I will get it done today.

Reaction score
I love it when someone gives me a couple of free cuttings :) You're very lucky! Because not everyone likes to take some cuttings from their plants, there is a woman in my neighborhood who really hates doing that, but I managed to get several geranium cuttings from her :p She couldn't say no because she knows my dad well :) She was a bit hesitant at first tho.

Reaction score
That is fantastic! Lucky you!

Are many of them perennials? That would be the icing on the cake to have them all come back next year since this season is already getting close to it's end.

Congrats on the the major score!

Reaction score
I love it when someone gives me a couple of free cuttings :) You're very lucky! Because not everyone likes to take some cuttings from their plants, there is a woman in my neighborhood who really hates doing that, but I managed to get several geranium cuttings from her :p She couldn't say no because she knows my dad well :) She was a bit hesitant at first tho.

LOL glad you got those cuttings Trellum!

That is fantastic! Lucky you!

Are many of them perennials? That would be the icing on the cake to have them all come back next year since this season is already getting close to it's end.

Congrats on the the major score!

Thank you and no I am afraid not but I can get seeds from them all for next year. My son already moved so he is no longer neighbors with the person who gave them to me. I doubt I will be getting any free plants next year. :(

Ask a Question