First corn ever!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I've never grown corn before because of deer and raccoons decimating it. Well, now I live in town so I planted a small block in a raised bed and, success !!

I planted a variety call ed Bodacious. Right now I'm heating the water. 😄
IMG_20240629_175847.jpg
IMG_20240629_180004.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bodacious is a great sweet sweet variety. For what its worth, we found that just heating it up in the microwave for 30 sec worked best. Boiling tended to toughen it up. I just eat it right off the stalk. Not like the old days when all you could get was dent corn and had to boil for a while.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Bodacious is a great sweet sweet variety. For what its worth, we found that just heating it up in the microwave for 30 sec worked best. Boiling tended to toughen it up. I just eat it right off the stalk. Not like the old days when all you could get was dent corn and had to boil for a while.
Ough, great suggestion! Do I butter it beforehand ? I only had the one fully filled out but I live alone, so, only need one at a time.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive just wrapped it in some saran wrap to "steam" it and then roll it in butter right out of the micro. Man is it good!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Boiling is awful for corn. Steaming is our method. But we don't bother with plastic wrap.

Soak the ears in the husk. Then apply heat in the manner of choice, microwave, hot coals, grill...

Loose Screw

Master Weed Puller
Reaction score
Country
United States
Oven Roasting!!!
.....especially crummy store bought...Down in Mexico, Street venders roll them in butter, Parmesan cheese, Louisiana hot Sauce, salt and pepper on a stick or shaven off into a paper cup! ...Oh and squeezed lime...Mexican put lime on Everything........

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oven Roasting!!!
.....especially crummy store bought...Down in Mexico, Street venders roll them in butter, Parmesan cheese, Louisiana hot Sauce, salt and pepper on a stick or shaven off into a paper cup! ...Oh and squeezed lime...Mexican put lime on Everything........
That would work for me since I have a lime tree growing in the yard !!

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
Oven Roasting!!!
I've had pretty good corn on the cob that was rolled in tin foil, baked in the oven & while hot they put a honey butter on that & rolled it in parmesian, that mexican dry powdered cheese (forget the name it just said cotiga queso), a bit of cumin, cilantro & salt. I also just like sweet corn baked or boiled with salted honey butter.

Ask a Question