Filling gaps in flower beds?

Reaction score
I have a small-ish flower bed that could really benefit from some small, low to the ground 'filler' flowers to fill in the gaps. I feel like the splotches of brown dirt are really taking away from the potential beauty of my garden, but I'm afraid of my filler plants overtaking my big beautiful ones.

I need suggestions. What are your favorite bloomers for a job like this?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Why don't you use something that isn't seasonal? Something like a ground cover or a variegated plant that can provide color when your flowers aren't blooming. If you have bare patches of brown earth in between your flowers, you should probably spread mulch so you don't end up with unwanted grasses and other wild plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
If I were you, I would plant some pansies in different colors. They look really lovely but don't worry about them overtaking your other plants. The more beautful flowers in our gardens, the better:D

Reaction score
If you want to fill in the gaps with flowering plants try ground cover Phlox which comes in many colours, Sedum Dragons, or Sedum Cape Blanco which doesn't flower but has very attractive thick leaves and will be a nice contrast to your flowering plants.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I think forgetmenot flowers would be fantastic and will look so pretty too!

Ask a Question