Easy indoor potting mix?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi everyone! Long time no post. I have been having fantastic luck with growing houseplants hydroponically...however, it occurred to me that many of my friends, family members, and customers (if I start selling my cuttings) are not going to want to grow their plants hydroponically, so I am looking into devising a simple, homemade potting mix to put cuttings or seedlings intended to give away or sell in. I already have peat moss lying around; could I perhaps make a potting mix of 1-2 parts pumice for drainage and aeration, and 1 part of the peat moss to hold nutrients? Any other easy ideas? Most of my plants are rather small, so I don't want to make more than a gallon or two of potting mix at once. Thanks :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This could be the bit where your fantastic luck changes somewhat. Be aware that your plants that are started this way will have considerably weaker roots that those started the conventional way in good old dirt! These little roots will not find it easy to adjust to the new environment, and loss could be the result.
If you want to propagate plants to sell, you would be better off starting them the same way as you grow them on. Cuttings and seedlings that start their lives in a good peat based compost will sport a much bigger and healthier root system from the word go.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
This could be the bit where your fantastic luck changes somewhat. Be aware that your plants that are started this way will have considerably weaker roots that those started the conventional way in good old dirt! These little roots will not find it easy to adjust to the new environment, and loss could be the result.
If you want to propagate plants to sell, you would be better off starting them the same way as you grow them on. Cuttings and seedlings that start their lives in a good peat based compost will sport a much bigger and healthier root system from the word go.
I can start future seedlings and cuttings in coir plugs (I've successfully started coleus, lettuce, and tomato seedlings in such plugs as well as an african violet cutting, though all of these were ultimately grown hydroponically once the roots protruded from the starter plug). My hydroponic plants are grown in pots of expanded clay placed in a shallow pool of nutrient solution, and appear to have very robust root systems...I'm not growing them just in the nutrient solution (my Clivia, for example, has completely filled its pot in hydroponics...it looks like it is beginning to bloom the third time this year).

Anyhow...how would the above potting soil mix work, assuming the plant had not been transitioned to hydroponics first or was simply a cutting off of a hydroponic plant (rather than one with roots already adapted to hydroponics)?

Ask a Question