Digging out Peach tree borers?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I was told by one of the members that my peach trees have borers. His advice was that I needed to dig them out of the tree! That sounds pretty extreme and potentially dangerous to the life of the peach tree. Since they are only in their 3rd yr of being in the ground and the trunks are maybe 4 inches in diameter, just how do you dig a borer out without leaving a massive hole in it that will weaken the trunk. Seems like there is a better way to do this, like perhaps an injectable poison that will kill the borers. I am going to the local garden store and see what they say.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
There are no chemical controls for borers that you can use on a fruit tree safely once they are inside the tree. You can dig them out with a knife if you use it to slice along the trunk vertically. Make a narrow slit rather than scraping a wide gash. You can also wrap the lower part of the trunk with plastic to smother them. Prevent them next year with a surface application of Bt.

Ask a Question