Determinate Tomatoes ... Yeah Right!

Reaction score
Country
United States
So what is this about romas growing 4 to 6 feet, and producing all their fruit at once. They seem to be behaving exactly like my indeterminate really.

Fruit is still growing, some tiny tomatoes some large and ripening. I'm really trying to figure out if I need to or should start new seedlings trying to get one more crop before winter, and when I need to chop these down and get the new in the ground?

Romas - harvesting ripe romas while it's still flowering at the top? When will these stop?

Will these beasts keep producing till winter or should I plan to start over and when? Most fruit is still small, but many are starting to ripening. Some are 8 feet. Roma vf.
1000007245.jpg

Harvesting ripe romas while flowering at the top? So these won't be done for another 40 days?
1000007246.jpg

All at once?
1000007233.jpg

Attachments

• 1000007245.jpg
    1000007245.jpg
    467.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 1000007246.jpg
    1000007246.jpg
    385.1 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Country
United States
32 plants, 14 gurneys roma vf, 14 eden roma vf, a few others, martinos roma. All the same. I'm pretty sure this determinate indeterminate thing is just a tendency under certain ideal conditions. I have indeterminate that decided to top themselves. Cherry are indeterminate yet do better without running. Roma seems fairly random.

Probably caused by light, I only get about 6 to 8 hours when the sun is directly on the plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ive never had the luxury of having to make that decision. The only time I ever cull any tomato is if it gets curly leaf virus. Its usually early in the season and I have a few starters left over to take their place. To start from scratch at this time for me is mind boggling!

Reaction score
Country
United States
I used to buy determinate plants but they do the same with me. If I have to cage or stake them I don see the point. If they keep on fruiting well, might as well keep them going and see what happens.
That said, I plant, typically, a few more seeds in May to plant out in late June/ July because it stays warm here through the first part of October.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Romas - harvesting ripe romas while it's still flowering at the top? When will these stop?

"Determinate" Roma/RomaVT plants are actually semi-determinate, though they are sold as "determinate" usually. That means they are still bush plants but they keep producing throughout the season until your area becomes too cold, like an indeterminate.

Ask a Question