Cutting propagation of Common Privet (Ligustrum japonicum) problems

Reaction score
Country
Argentina
Hey all,

i took cuttings from this plant to make clones.

After 2 weeks most of the plants are losing leaves and I am worried.

They are on a tray wrapped in plastic. It's winter here in the southern hemisphere and they get very low amounts of sun. Window looks west and there's a building so they get about 1 h of the limited sun of this time of year (think late November for northerners).

- Should I give them light at all?
- Should I keep the humidity at 100 % like they are now?
- Any recommendations??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a privet hedge that has overgrown, I took some lengths out dead straight about four feet longto try and get it to thicken up further down. A week or two later I was putting a board along the edge of a bed and chopped one of the privet pieces into 9" lengths to hold it in place, now, a month or so later, they are all sprouting. I think you would have trouble stopping privet cuttings from taking no matter what you do to them. It is amazingly hardy, I have cut a very overgrown hedge back to ground level and had a decent hedge back by the end of the year.
By the way, my bits were about the width of my little finger, no leaves, straight sticks.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The warmer and brighter you can make them, the faster they will root. As Oliver said they are usually pretty easy to root. Not Coleus easy, but pretty reliable.

Ask a Question