Cutting French Lavender

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have two French Lavenders but they are on tall stems, not just a standard one. How far should I cut from the head into the stem so they retain their round, ball- like shape?

Thanks in advance :)

Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 20.44.20.jpg
Screenshot 2024-09-07 at 20.45.25.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never pruned a french one, I am assuming it is going to be similar to the ordinary sort. Them you can prune back as hard as you like, and as long as there is some sort of bud they will come back, but it is a bit late in the year now. It is normal to prune as soon as the flowers go over, that gives it time to make some new growth before winter. Because of that I wouldn't knock it back too hard, just trim it to the shape you want, take off the stem growth you don't want sprouting next year, and leave the hard prune to next year. you will have the experience of seeing how it grows then as well, even if it isn't a perfect shape next august.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never pruned a french one, I am assuming it is going to be similar to the ordinary sort. Them you can prune back as hard as you like, and as long as there is some sort of bud they will come back, but it is a bit late in the year now. It is normal to prune as soon as the flowers go over, that gives it time to make some new growth before winter. Because of that I wouldn't knock it back too hard, just trim it to the shape you want, take off the stem growth you don't want sprouting next year, and leave the hard prune to next year. you will have the experience of seeing how it grows then as well, even if it isn't a perfect shape next august.
Thank you, I have not cut it back too much. I have been hanging on as until last week, several were still in flower. I still have one in a flower bed very much in flower. I am wondering if it is because my back garden gets so much direct sun all day long.

Thanks for the help.

Ask a Question