Cutting basil to reproduce or repot?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,
I am very new to gardening and feeling a bit overwhelmed with my basil plant. It was growing very fast and I repotted it from my little pot to a bigger one. It’s been doing great but recently I noticed there’s stems that are growing out of the pot and dropping down to the sides of the pot. The stems also has little roots looking things along the bottom of the stem. Do I need to repot it to a bigger pot? Or is it ok to cut the bigger stem coming out the side and plant it on its own? I am afraid if I cut the thick stem my plant will die. The stem that’s growing out of the soil and dropping down started to grow flower on it as well. I am not sure what I can do. I am thinking maybe it’s my fault because I didn’t trim it much when it was growing rapidly. Please help I am adding some pictures in case I didn’t explain correctly. Thank you for reading.
IMG_1491.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1489.jpeg
    IMG_1489.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_1490.jpeg
    IMG_1490.jpeg
    213.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1488.jpeg
    IMG_1488.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
Just want to add this is the worst the plant leaves have ever looked. Its started to become a droopy :(

Ginger with Roots

Ginger with Roots
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Time to make some pesto! It just needs a haircut. See the little leaves near base of stems? Those will grow into bigger one, too. Remove a few inches all around (like the first 1-3 leaf sets). The flowers mean it's going to seed instead of making more leaves. After cutting it back, it should get bushier.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rhuma, I joined this forum solely to learn about growing herbs and it stemmed (no pun intended) from becoming obsessed with pesto and realizing it was kind of expensive to keep buying basil so I decided to start growing it.

You may have watched a lot of basil videos but I found this one to really be a good guide and explain things well:

Envious of the plant you have but it looks like you could trim a lot of basil, and do a lot of wonderful thing with those leaves, and then have a gorgeous plant!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Basil is good for detering Bugs. Right now my whole garden smells like Basil.

I'm thinking mine will reseed and French Marigolds.

Just learning to.

Here is one row of Basil.
e90d53ff-66c4-42d1-b5bc-b045aeb54f94.jpg

big rockpile

Ask a Question