Cubed "Japanese" Watermelon

Reaction score
Country
United States
Going to try this out this summer.

Has anyone done this?

I've got 5 molds from [link removed]

I'm looking for advice from anyone who has experience with this or who successfully plants watermelon each year. My biggest concern is getting the soil ratio right, as I'm reading that watermelon are vulnerable to a number of soil born diseases.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum @SarahMTX - great to have you here!

I've seen photos of square melons before but I didn't realise that moulds were available for purchase by the general public! I'd be really interested to hear how you get on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I don't have any experience in growing watermelons, but I am sure I seen on a video that said the square ones were for aesthetics only and did not taste good. They would look interesting on display either way. Please correct me if I'm wrong, and I would love to know your intentions with them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
This cubed watermelon thing started years ago as a commercial endeavor to actually breed cubed melons as it would be much cheaper to ship them and much less hands on labor costs. It didn't work very well as I am sure that you will not find many cube shaped melons out there. These molds are just another gimmick to separate you from your money.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I think you have a spammer here. On another garden site the web address was removed, cause ya know. See Chuck's last sentence.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Rudy, its primarily just a novelty pursuit. We have booth selling crafts at out local farmer's market and thought it would get people over to us and generate some conversation and pictures. As far as taste, I've seen mixed reviews on youtube, one video says its difficult to ripen, while two others say its not an issue. I guess I'll find out.

Chuck, while very niche, I think it's still practiced frequently today. I can see how the commercial application would be difficult to manage, though.

LIcenter, if the link is against the rules, please feel free to remove it and I apologize.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
LIcenter, if the link is against the rules, please feel free to remove it and I apologize.
Not my call, but I'll give you my thoughts on this kind of activity. You show up without even introducing yourself, and plop down a link trying to sell us some kinda crap in your very first post. I've seen this on many a site. One to the point that the forum withered, and died on the vine, because the poor guy running it couldn't keep up deleting all the spam that inundated his site. I'm sorry but there should be a minimum post rule before anyone can post any type of link so we know the poster is legit. jmho

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I think you have a spammer here. On another garden site the web address was removed, cause ya know. See Chuck's last sentence.

Good point, I didn't realise (for once, I'm usually deeply suspicious!)

Rudy, its primarily just a novelty pursuit. We have booth selling crafts at out local farmer's market and thought it would get people over to us and generate some conversation and pictures. As far as taste, I've seen mixed reviews on youtube, one video says its difficult to ripen, while two others say its not an issue. I guess I'll find out.

Chuck, while very niche, I think it's still practiced frequently today. I can see how the commercial application would be difficult to manage, though.

I'm sorry, but trying to pass off self-promotion as something else is the definition of spamming (n)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I didn't realize you had to mold the watermelons to made them square. I honestly thought they were some GMO experiment. However, I do not see how the mold would change the taste since you are primarily just guiding how the plant grows. I would personally try just growing watermelons first before you try making them different shapes. Sometimes just growing can be an art form.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I didn't realize you had to mold the watermelons to made them square. I honestly thought they were some GMO experiment. However, I do not see how the mold would change the taste since you are primarily just guiding how the plant grows. I would personally try just growing watermelons first before you try making them different shapes. Sometimes just growing can be an art form.

Hahaha, yeah, I thought that at one point too. So, would this be possible with other fruits? It would be funny to see a bunch of square fruits.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hahaha, yeah, I thought that at one point too. So, would this be possible with other fruits? It would be funny to see a bunch of square fruits.
They do it with tomatoes too or try to. It isn't that easy. Just like with watermelons commercial growers would like to make cubed tomatoes for ease of shipping, storage and handling but making a box to fit around each individual tomato is for someone who has too much time on their hands. Just like with watermelons you would have to know what the exact size the tomato or melon would be when mature to make it work and as all of us know there is no way to know that. Anyone who has grown either will understand this. But go ahead and waste your money if that is what floats your boat

Ask a Question