Crepe myrtle shape - replace?

Reaction score
Country
Spain
Hello everyone,

I bought this crepe myrtle in February, and it’s looking pretty spindly and bare right now. Is this normal for a recently planted tree? For context, I’m in Madrid, and other crepe myrtles in the area are looking beautiful.

It did get mildew this year, and it’s exposed to wind – something I didn’t consider before purchasing. The nursery actually sold me the wrong tree (I asked for white but got bright pink). Even though I’m kind of loving the pop of color, I’m considering swapping it for another tree since the nursery is willing to make the exchange.

I think I made a mistake in getting the single stem/trunk and a split one might have been better. However, maybe I’m being impatient and need to give it a few years to grow. Do you have any advice on how to prune it to encourage fuller growth and outward branches in the future? Or is this just how it’s going to look? Would you recommend swapping it for another tree?

Thanks in advance for your help!

IMG_20240624_082738.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
It looks absolutely fine and they need good air circulation, so wind is not a problem.

You don't prune them until late winter/ very early spring and please do not commit "Crepe Murder" by pruning them back to bare limbs. You should only take off, from each branch, no more than 1/3 of it's present length. If you prune too much off,

This first pictue is of two of mine after pruning them as I described. They are only 3 years old and were planted as 1' high plants.
IMG_20240709_122709.jpg
your plant will send up multiple suckers from the roots and you end up with an ugly upside down shaving brush effect. Like this one below that's across the street from me.
IMG_20240709_122659_kindlephoto-99716554.jpg

Ask a Question