Complete Roses Novice Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

I was wondering if there are any roses experts on here who could tell me what the growing pattern I should expect from these roses:-
IMG_20240702_144411_copy_1500x2000.jpg

We just bought this in a tiny cardboard box from the supermarket. We grew it for a while in a pot and then planted in the garden.

There was one main, pretty thin stem growing from a clump of waxed cut stems. That's the part which has grown up, supported by the bamboo, on the left hand side and now has a bud at the top.

But over the past few weeks, these much thicker stems have shot up from nowhere on the right hand side. They were very deep purple reddish and now starting go green.

Is this a regular growth thing? Are these two new shoots the main part of the plant now? It's weird because as you can see they are much thicker, with much bigger thorns than what was growing before.

As I was saying in the title, we're total novices as far as growing these goes, so any advice / comments as to what's happening here would be much appreciated.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm no expert on roses but it seems to be a hybrid tea rose. They typically produce long single stemmed roses for cutting.

About the lower shoots, those may be coming from the root stock that your rose was grafted onto which is a vigorous variety but it will not produce roses like those of the plant that was grafted to it. The rootstock will produce lots of pretty foliage but only one flush of tiny roses in spring.

What you can do is lift the rose and look for the graft area. It will be evident because normally you will find a collar at the graft site. Now cut off the stems coming from the root stock and replant the rose with the root stock a couple inches above ground. Don't cover the stems you removed because they need to dry and callus over so that the rootstock will not send up more.

Good luck with it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there. Thanks for your reply.

Here's a close up where the old main, thinner stem joins the waxed stems:-
IMG_20240702_173734_copy_1500x2000.jpg

Not sure if that ring around the stem just above where it joins is that collar you mentioned?

The bit where these thicker stems come out from looks like this:-
IMG_20240702_173316_copy_2000x1500.jpg

So I should just cut them off close into that base? Hopefully I don't need to replant as I think that's all above ground anyway where I'd prune it into...

Thanks again.

Ask a Question