Competition too much for them?

Reaction score
Country
United States
My house is a Folk Victorian built 1898. The front porch floor is 40" " off the ground and did I mention about the snails ?
IMG_20240625_073119.jpg
IMG_20240625_073216.jpg

Then I look down and thought, oh boy, some loose dog left me a present !!
IMG_20240625_072023.jpg

So, I go inside to get something to clean that up and...did I say I was being overrun by slugs?
Breakfast on the porch with wildlife is one thing...😣

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
I think slugs and snails are cute, but if you don't like them you could get ducks or gease. They like to eat them a lot. You can keep them off your garden plants with a ring of crushed egg shells. If you really really are intent on them being gone I hear a bowl of water & yeast or beer will attract them & drown them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think slugs and snails are cute, but if you don't like them you could get ducks or gease. They like to eat them a lot. You can keep them off your garden plants with a ring of crushed egg shells. If you really really are intent on them being gone I hear a bowl of water & yeast or beer will attract them & drown them.
I would love to have ducks but I'm in city limits and we are only allowed Chickens, and I don't like eggs much, so...

Reaction score
Country
United States
There are lots of natural options that are less harmful than poisons.

The vast majority of those options do not work or barely work, and the few youtube gardeners that are not fear mongers or charlatans have proven so, as have I over many years of falling for these half-baked, centruries-old false remedies that make great youtube clickbait and ad revenue for their purveyors.

Anyway, Monterey Sluggo and Sluggo Plus are OMRI certified for organic applications. The former is iron sulfate and the latter is iron sulfate with spinosad. OP asked for a solution so I gave one that works for me in the garden, and it happens to be certified for organic use, yet that was not good enough?

Everyone has to do their own due diligience to see if using anything (organic or not) is right or safe for their own appication and use case. But I'm not on this Earth to be a nanny, especially to an adult, which I assume everyone here is, nor a nanny for their children and pets.

Mystic Moon Tree

Herbalist, Gardener, & Permaculturist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b to 8 unique microclimate
Country
United States
The vast majority of those options do not work or barely work, and the few youtube gardeners that are not fear mongers or charlatans have proven so, as have I over many years of falling for these half-baked, centruries-old false remedies that make great youtube clickbait and ad revenue for their purveyors.

Anyway, Monterey Sluggo and Sluggo Plus are OMRI certified for organic applications. The former is iron sulfate and the latter is iron sulfate with spinosad. OP asked for a solution so I gave one that works for me in the garden, and it happens to be certified for organic use, yet that was not good enough?

Everyone has to do their own due diligience to see if using anything (organic or not) is right or safe for their own appication and use case. But I'm not on this Earth to be a nanny, especially to an adult, which I assume everyone here is, nor a nanny for their children and pets.

Its not about being a nanny. Its about being a good person that takes responsibility for not causing overt harm in this life to others and the environment! Bugs travel outside of one's own yard once they have veen poisoned and the toxins stay in the garden killing much more than what you intend & it is WRONG to use products that cause poisoning period. You are incorrect. Snails & slugs are easily repelled by crushed egg shells, and natural repellant folliars sprays & killed by a bowl of beer or yeast water. Whatever you're refferencing on youtube I have no idea about. I do know what I and other actual organic farmers use every year successfully. In real life. I have also worked in the vet clinics as an rvt watching what slug/snail & rat baits do to pets. They bleed to death internally, painfully, so you're just being a stuborn jerk that doesn't care about the actual harm you cause or could cause and that is not cool!

Ask a Question