Colorless Hydrangea

Reaction score
Country
United States
First off, let me apologize for asking a lot of questions and not posting tips. Its because I am, and always will be, a dummy when it comes to gardening. Although I have been at it for a few years now I feel I have no expertise to advise others and potentially give bad ideas. So on with another question. I bought a hydrangea last month, a brilliant deep blue, and planted it in a place with sun, but with shade from the worst afternoon sun. I used compost, Miracle grow In Ground Garden Soil, (which of course has nutrients), and potting mix with 10-10-10 in it. I keep it watered although not before or after rainy days. Problem is, all of a sudden it lost all its color. We have clay in our soil here and I know the plants like acidic soil. But one new flower came in deep blue like they all originally were. What the heck happened ??? The plant itself looks very healthy cept for the color. So I just added a cup of vinegar with a gallon of water and applied it to the soil around the plant. Did I do the right thing, and as the plant ages and grows deeper will it return to its original color. I love all my plants but gardening is like science, and it confuses me. It breaks my heart to see one of my babies sick :cry: Would appreciate any advice TYVM

Attachments

• IMG_2496.JPG
    IMG_2496.JPG
    492.8 KB · Views: 16
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Most likely feed with blue food coloring. Do some research, not all hydrangeas are blue. I have 13 of them, all represent the 4 different categories. My Annabells are a creamy white, Oak leaf hydrangea also a creamy white. I have one that comes in a lace cap white turns sweetly to pink then red then brick in the fall. I have lace cap blues . I have in the same circle a pink and a blue . None of which I will ever do anything to the soil to "change" the color, that my friend is a farce. I never by my hydrangeas from Lowes, or Home Depo. But I search out nurseries that have them. And then we come to flower shape, the round ball, the cone shaped , the lace cap. Fun to do research. I believe on my thread I most likely took pics of all of them, I will tag you.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought it from a nursury The lady told me it was blue When I planted it, it got even deeper blue. The new flower is blue, so why do you suggest it may not be a blue hydrangea. I am convinced it is the soil... or if not, too much sun.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I bought it from a nursury The lady told me it was blue When I planted it, it got even deeper blue. The new flower is blue, so why do you suggest it may not be a blue hydrangea. I am convinced it is the soil... or if not, too much sun.
Ok, wait and see. Or move it to less sun. I never have changed my soil of any color, and it retains the color it was meant to be.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Many years ago I discovered a nursery that specialized in Hydrangea, and other unique plants in Washington State, Heronwood. And finally a trip brought me close enough to plan a visit there, and further selecting some shubs to ship home. Of which in my garden are unique hydrangeas shrubs from there. The owner Dan Hinkley travels the world finding unusual species of plants. (trust me a point will be made)
Years went by, and was heard Dan sold the nursery to Burbee Seed company, the area community very upset from what I could gather. Then I heard Burbee Seed was having a sale --and some shurbs would be there from Heronwood, at the Burbee Seed Estate in Doyelstown, PA, an hour drive for me. So I went, got there, and did my usual shopping about, then discovered all the Hydranges they had there were for zone 9., any novice buying those, they would have certainly died in this area, as we are zone 6. So I said to the "nursery" person walking about, Why would you do that sell zone 9 here, they will die. Of course he had no answer. ( but guessing his bottom line was to sell and unload extra plants). Only a couple years passed and found out that the native American Indian tribe of that area in Washington state bought the nursery from Burbee. So told all is happy land over there now.

Ask a Question