Cherry Laurel hedge - is it safe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have planted 8 grown Cherry Laurels in my front garden. They are 7 ft high and form a screen to a public footpath which runs parallel to my front garden.

The Cherry Laurels are in planters, which l decided to do on the advice of people who said that Cherry Laurels can be beasts years down the line. I also need one of them close to my house as a screen and I didn't want the roots causing issues.

However... I've now been informed that they are poisonous and are a potential hazard for this reason. Bear in mind that they do run as a border with a public footpath used by children, dog walkers etc.

Do I need to replace the 8 Cherry Laurels? And if so, what with?

My front garden doesn't get much sun. So non-poisonous and happy in shade would be the requirements. I also like keeping them in planters so that I'm in control of them.

Many thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
You have to eat them to be poisoned and the taste is not something most people will eat more than a bite of, if that. Think about how often you hear of someone getting sick, much less dying, from it.

I don't think having them in containers will control them that much other than shortening their lives. The most effective way of keeping them from causing problems is to keep them under control from day one and continuously. It's when they get left to their own devices many pants can become problem children.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Swapping them would be very expensive and a couple of days of work. Just wish I'd known to think of toxicity before buying them. Not something that even crossed my mind.

What are the alternatives to Cherry Laurels in my situation: screen needed from a public footpath, mostly shady area, would be in rows of planters.

(I have actually just today looked it up and realized that I have a large bush nearby which is Bay Laurel.)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Bamboo, barberry, Photinia, Podocarpus, Pittosporum, Abelia, Yaupon holly.
I still think removing the Cherry Laurel is an over-reaction.

Thank you for that. I have made a note of those other options. But you're probably right in that I am overreacting to the news about the Cherry Laurels. Housing developers plant them and B&Q sell them. They surely can't be that bad if kept in check.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have 5 cherry laurels - green shinny leaves, planted 5 photinias -new leaves red..- and 5 Leland cypress - lacy leaves - As a screen across the front. The shrubs / trees are alternated for color interest and photinia’s flower, Leland’s grow small cones, and laurels flower in spring and have berry’s In fall.
Most garden plants are posionous to some degree just depends on how much is ingested . Who walks along a path and eats the shrubs.and trees. Any park that has paths with trees and shrubs have the same toxic traits. Even the plants suggested are toxic. Although the plants mentioned would be beautiful replacements.

Bamboo plants if purchased buy the clump type otherwise bamboo will take over and spread rapidly thruout the entire area. Just a little heads up

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
A child would need to eat around 10 berries and an adult about 50, and as said they are not tasty.
The leaves are poisonous too so be careful when trimming.

Ask a Question