Cardboard?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Half of my garden I put Cardboard between the rows and Shredded Leaves over it.

Thinking of just using Straw.

I have Cardboard is it better than than just Straw?

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Cardboard completely blocks the light and weeds have a much harder time popping up through it. Straw would need to be laid down much more thickly to keep those tenacious little devils down.

Straw is hard to get in my area. I have used hay in the past but if I can't find first cut hay, it will have seeds in it, so that deters me from using hay anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not only does cardboard block light from getting through, it also blocks air and water penetration. It basically kills all life underneath it.
Water does penetrate cardboard. Ever have a cardbosrd box left out in the rain by the delivery man, your contents will be wet.
If you just lift it up after wetting it, you can see that the ground is wet beneath. When I lifted mine I also had worms and worm castings right underneath it

Reaction score
Country
United States
Water does penetrate cardboard. Ever have a cardbosrd box left out in the rain by the delivery man, your contents will be wet.
If you just lift it up after wetting it, you can see that the ground is wet beneath. When I lifted mine I also had worms and worm castings right underneath it
So use Cardboard. I did consider putting it in Compost Bin but figure it will break down. Looks Trashy but I think it will break down.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another idea. I have some Cardboard.

Thinking of soaking it and pull it in half and put it down.

It should be pretty much decomposed by the time I want to plant Cover Crop.

big rockpile

Ask a Question