Can't Identify This Low, Spreading Invader

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Hi All!
We've always had a low, spreading plant show up in the front and back yards each year. (Photos below) Normally, it's mostly in driveway cracks with a few surprises in the vegetable garden.

This year, it's quite prolific. The plant is now commonly found on the lawns, in the gardens and it even took over one of my dill planters. The next door neighbor's lawn is nearly all made of this plant. I even found it in the front lawn where it's never been. (Front pavement cracks, yes. Lawn- no)

It never flowers, so I can't identify it by that.

When it is brand new, it will have 2 or 3 stems that grow perhaps 2 inches tall. Soon, there will be many stems and they all lay flat, staying less than 1" tall.
The stems when new are purple.
It can grow in a flat spread less than 1" diameter, or it can spread more than 24" diameter (as seen in the neighbor's driveway cracks). Usually, it is all one plant.

There is no odor to help identify it. I've never seen seeds, so I have no idea how it reproduces.

When the soil is wet, I can easily pull it out. There is a single root, about 3-6" long.

When the soil is dry, vinegar kills it, but it returns. It first shows up in spring where the driveway meets the street, thus road salt doesn't kill it over the winter.

I tried some plant identification web sites and plant identification apps, but found no result.

Do you all recognize this?

Thanks For Helping,
Paul

Attachments

• Mystery Plant View 1.JPG
    Mystery Plant View 1.JPG
    318.6 KB · Views: 23
  • Mystery Plant View 2.JPG
    Mystery Plant View 2.JPG
    345.4 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
Country
United States
I Have it too. It's called prostrate spurge. It's named right because it's totally a spurge, a blight on the earth !! But, it has it's purpose in life and that is to cover the ground whenever and wherever the soil is disturbed It seems to go to seed as soon as it emerges so, you have to yank it out as soon as you see it.

I have been fighting it off in my garden for years since there are so many seeds of it in the ground already that you pull one out and dozens pop up all around where you disturbed the soil pulling it up at !!

The seeds are teeny little whiteish specks. Look closely, you' ll see them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Have it here too. I've called it purple purlsane but not positvie. I think it is edible but never tried that. You can pick it and it still comes back just like johnson grass. The good thing is that is lays flat to the ground and covers a basketball sized area with one central root so not the worst weed to have.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Guys!
Now I have a name to give it when I'm endlessly pulling them out. Last night brought a bonanza of the stuff!

I was looking on line and saw that purslane has succulent leaves & spurge are flat. The ones in our yard are succulent. They're rather thick. I apologize that my photos aren't showing it.
Does that make this purslane or is there another clue to look at?

Thanks Again,
Paul

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen that week all my life time (85 yrs) and never knew the correct name, besides weed. Wish I had a 10 sack of seeds. I have no lawn I e Bermuda grass. Do have some native grass but it is non spreading. Every time I get some grass growing my water company puts me (all all their customers) on water restrictions and my grass dies for lack of water. Here in south Texas we suffer from lack of rain and I actually live in a desert. Good luck with the weed. Send me some seeds if you get a chance lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Thanks Guys!
Now I have a name to give it when I'm endlessly pulling them out. Last night brought a bonanza of the stuff!

I was looking on line and saw that purslane has succulent leaves & spurge are flat. The ones in our yard are succulent. They're rather thick. I apologize that my photos aren't showing it.
Does that make this purslane or is there another clue to look at?

Thanks Again,
Paul
There are other ways to verify if this is Purslane or Spurge.

Purslane has clear, slightly gelatinous fluid in the stem when you break it and the stem is very plump. Spurge's stem not as plump and it's sap is NOT clear, it is milky.

Purslane has obvious flowers, usually yellow, although generally it blooms in the morning and close up by the heat of the day. Spurge flowers are not as obvious, I'm not sure what they look like, because I haven't paid much attention, other than I know they're not showy.

Here's a video of various Spurges and how to ID

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
BTW, here's a video of Purslane and it lists some of the reasons why this plant is a good "weed" to eat. I always make sure I save seeds, so I can start some plants early in the Spring.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I goofed!
We've got two different invaders. Photos are below.
I have seen that week all my life time (85 yrs) and never knew the correct name, besides weed. Wish I had a 10 sack of seeds. I have no lawn I e Bermuda grass. Do have some native grass but it is non spreading. Every time I get some grass growing my water company puts me (all all their customers) on water restrictions and my grass dies for lack of water. Here in south Texas we suffer from lack of rain and I actually live in a desert. Good luck with the weed. Send me some seeds if you get a chance lol
I wonder if one of the clovers would tolerate the water restrictions. I'm just guessing. They sure make nice barefoot lawns!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I goofed.
There are two invaders that look similar until I look closely. Photos are below.

The one in the photo titled "Plant A" has the thick leaves that stay supple for a long time after picking. (Succulent?) The photo was taken more than an hour after picking. The stem is purple, but it doesn't show up in the photo. Those leaves are kind of grouped in a round pattern.

The plant in the photo titled "Plant B" has flat leaves. The leaves wilt within minutes of picking. It looks like there are tiny flowers or seeds on it. I can't tell even with a magnifying glass. These leaves are in flat pairs.

The third photo is both plants from farther away.

Now I'm really confused. (Guessing the Plant A photo is purslane & B is spurge.) Did I get it correct?

Attachments

• Plant A.JPG
    Plant A.JPG
    161.6 KB · Views: 4
  • Plant B.JPG
    Plant B.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Both Plants.JPG
    Both Plants.JPG
    178.5 KB · Views: 4
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Remember from above post #7, break the stem, if it's milky it's Spurge, clear is Purslane. But yes, pic A is Purslane, all others are Spurge.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Thanks Again everyone for helping me learn.
I tried breaking open some stems, but neither has any liquid inside. I'll try again earlier in the day or after a rain. Perhaps they are temporarily dry (as is the ground).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I found one of the flat leaf ones (Photo B) that had a fat stem. White liquid was inside, confirming what you guys taught me. Spurge.

Ask a Question