Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Also known as egg fruit, Canisitiel
1canistel.jpg
grows well in my garden. It is called egg fruit because it tastes exactly like the boiled yolk of the egg to which sugar is added.
Canistel has several health benenfits. It contains niacin which controls our bad cholesterol. Here is a link that tells you more

http://healthybenefits.info/the-health-benefits-of-canistel-fruit/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
I suppose this is a damaged fruit...

I never saw or ate this fruit before, but searching for more images I found out it is very similar to this one, which is relatively common around here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouteria_caimito

It is yummy as well! As for the "eggfruit", I think I will die without eating it!

Thank you!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
I suppose this is a damaged fruit...

I never saw or ate this fruit before, but searching for more images I found out it is very similar to this one, which is relatively common around here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pouteria_caimito

It is yummy as well! As for the "eggfruit", I think I will die without eating it!

Thank you!
It cracks on the tree and that is the time it is ready. We can also pluck them when they are semi ripe. I opened that link but that fruit is not the same as canistel. And as for your dying without eating canistel the choice is yours :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Brazil
It cracks on the tree and that is the time it is ready.
Interesting! I think it justifies its name even more -> "eggfruit" (egg -> need to break first to eat).

I opened that link but that fruit is not the same as canistel.
I think you misunderstood my post (or my English has failed again)... I meant it is is similar (externally) in appearance to the "eggfruit" you mentioned.

And as for your dying without eating canistel the choice is yours.
Unfortunately, it is not a choice.

I apologize for any inconveniences I may have caused.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
We are havin
Interesting! I think it justifies its name even more -> "eggfruit" (egg -> need to break first to eat).

I think you misunderstood my post (or my English has failed again)... I meant it is is similar (externally) in appearance to the "eggfruit" you mentioned.

Unfortunately, it is not a choice.

I apologize for any inconveniences I may have caused.
We are having fun here and should there be a misunderstanding this site gives us ample opportunity to clarify.Have a nice day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I never heard about this fruit before. I would like to try it!:) From your description it sounds delicious. I love hard boiled egg yolks, they're my favorite breakfast snack:D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
This is a tropical fruit that I may never taste. I don't like to eat eggs so I would never purchase or pick this fruit, but it is nice to know that it out there some where.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
darrellkansas

Latest Threads