Can this climbing rose be saved

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi!
So I have a, what was once beautiful, climbing rose that is looking awful. It’s definitely not dead but after two back to back very wet summers it’s taken a beating with what I’m assuming is black spot. I love the position of it & want to do everything I can to try save it. I know a lot of it needs cutting back.
Any advice welcome.
Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0727.jpeg
    IMG_0727.jpeg
    313.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0772.jpeg
    IMG_0772.jpeg
    352.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0773.jpeg
    IMG_0773.jpeg
    336.7 KB · Views: 12
Reaction score
Country
United States
It doesn't look that bad to me. I would just wait'll fall then thin out the old wood right down at the base. When you have lots of foliage that's crowded together it can lead to plant diseases spreading quite rapidly. Take off any thin, spindley growth and leave your nice thick green branches, then you will have better air circulation and better blooms next year. Clesn up all the dead leaves as they will spread blackspot disease.

If worse comes to worse you can get a soil drench to control the blackspot. I use Bio Advance products from Bayer myself.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It doesn't look that bad to me. I would just wait'll fall then thin out the old wood right down at the base. When you have lots of foliage that's crowded together it can lead to plant diseases spreading quite rapidly. Take off any thin, spindley growth and leave your nice thick green branches, then you will have better air circulation and better blooms next year. Clesn up all the dead leaves as they will spread blackspot disease.

If worse comes to worse you can get a soil drench to control the blackspot. I use Bio Advance products from Bayer myself.
Sorry only just seen this! Thank you so much for getting back to me. Yes I think cutting it back quite a bit will definitely help. Is there any treatment for over winter you’d recommend? I’m up north in the U.K.
All of the roses have been affected badly by black spot this year. I have a rose garden & I’m worrying they won’t be able to be saved. Any & all advice welcome!
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0959.jpeg
    IMG_0959.jpeg
    368.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0961.jpeg
    IMG_0961.jpeg
    232 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0963.jpeg
    IMG_0963.jpeg
    440.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0964.jpeg