Can someone recognize this palm tree?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

This is a Queen Palm (Syagrus romanzoffiana), a Cocosoid palm, native to Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, and northern Argentina.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Hello, and welcome to the Forums.

This is a Queen Palm (Syagrus romanzoffiana), a Cocosoid palm, native to Brazil, Paraguay, Uruguay, and northern Argentina.
Wow you are very knowledgeable! Thanks!
I cleared the seeds from the fruit carefully with a small knife, now i have them inside warm water to dilute the oil and the hair, once they are dry from oil after some days (i will change the warm water everyday), can i use the baggy method to germinate them? (its getting cold here in Greece, we are heading for winter, the temperature for the next two months will be around 58-68 Fahrenheit) (from Jan to March 40-60 Fahrenheit)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, I think that sounds like a good germination protocol. Sealed plastic bags are great for germinating seeds with lengthy and complex germination requirements.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Yes, I think that sounds like a good germination protocol. Sealed plastic bags are great for germinating seeds with lengthy and complex germination requirements.

what soil should i put inside the bag to success? Also where should i put the bag? Should i put the plastic bag inside a paper bag?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Any reasonable media will work for the germination step. Some growers prefer perlite, vermiculite, or a 50-50 blend of the two, but average potting soil should work fine. Syagrus romanzoffiana does not require light or darkness to germinate, but I would keep the bag in a dark to low light situation except when inspecting the seeds. The seeds just need to be kept warm and damp, not soaking wet. Inspect the bag often and remove seeds that have begun to germinate (or rot). Of course pot up those that germinate.
Begin the germination process immediately as such seeds lose viability rather quickly. At the same time, be patient, germination can take from 4 to 8 months, possibly longer.

Reaction score
Country
Greece
Any reasonable media will work for the germination step. Some growers prefer perlite, vermiculite, or a 50-50 blend of the two, but average potting soil should work fine. Syagrus romanzoffiana does not require light or darkness to germinate, but I would keep the bag in a dark to low light situation except when inspecting the seeds. The seeds just need to be kept warm and damp, not soaking wet. Inspect the bag often and remove seeds that have begun to germinate (or rot). Of course pot up those that germinate.
Begin the germination process immediately as such seeds lose viability rather quickly. At the same time, be patient, germination can take from 4 to 8 months, possibly longer.
Very helpful! Thanks! I will use regular soil to try this.

I am not sure i understand this sentence "germination process immediately as such seeds lose viability rather quickly"

I picked the fruits from the soil, i think they were there for many days, some fruits looked fresh, i cleared the crumb of the fruit and i soaked them into warm water for 24 hours. The seeds stay on the bottom. I didn't know that seeds had expiration date, i thought seeds can be saved for many years.

if i am lucky and germination happens, and if that happens during winter, should i put the pot inside an artificial greenhouse?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Plant these seeds now, the germination rate for this species, begins to decline within six months, but if you found these seeds recently in fallen fruit they should be fine in that regard. Do keep the seeds and small seedlingwarm in Winter, though of course, later, as they grow larger, they should acclimated to being outside.

Ask a Question