Box Hedge Caterpillar Recovery

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I have a box hedge that had caterpillar infestation. The hedge’s green leaves slowly depleted until it had none from around August onwards. I have used moth traps and applied x2 lots of biological insecticide, as well as removed around 50+ caterpillars by hand. Although I am still catching the moths in the trap, it appears as if the hedge is now caterpillar free and has been for around 3 weeks. Thankfully, the branches of the hedge are still green but there still isn’t a green leaf in sight and I am concerned as we move into the harsher seasons.

Do I just need to be patient and the hedge will recover over time?

Is there anything I can do to encourage/help the hedge to re-grow?

I have included two images, one close up and one distant for reference.

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Attachments

• IMG_0648.jpeg
    IMG_0648.jpeg
    432.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0649.jpeg
    IMG_0649.jpeg
    364.8 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Country
United States
I don’t know if the box shrubs will survive. I have never seen cats actually totally defoliate so many shrubs . Once the leaves are gone they will continue to eat the bark. Horrible infestation. The shrubs without any leaves can’t synthesize from the sunlight to allow nutrients to the plants . It’s a wait and see. Some may make it, some may not. Sorry that happened to your hedges. They looked like they were well taken care of.
I use a systemic to treat many of my trees and shrubs . Available at big box stores.

Ask a Question