Bounty!

Reaction score
Oh the joys of living where fresh fruits and vegetables are plentiful at certain times of the year!!!

Zucchini and cucumbers were the first treats. I could eat themevery day.

This week I've been in heaven as I've enjoyed fresh tomatoes drizzled with balsamic vinaigrette and sprinkled with mozzarella cheese and fresh basil (the last coming from my own garden!). I was almost giddy when I bought the rich, red tomatoes from a local farm stand (we have little ones all over the place at this time of year, and things are cheap!).

We've had corn on the cob and will be buying more tomorrow for dinner. My husband has been buying from this farm for years and we always go to that stand if we can, no one else's corn compares, for some reason.

A new-found treat is fresh peaches! Yes, I've had fresh peaches before but this year is different. The boys I'm watching have a tree in their backyard. We go out there to play and we just grab a peach and eat it, still warm from the sun. Having to dodge the plethora of bees is part of the fun (for me, not so much for the boys!) I asked to pick enough to make a pie for my Mom and was told to take all I need. So tomorrow's dessert will be peach pie with pecan sandie topping.

The apples are ready for picking on my trees, also, so I have to get started this week on making sauce. Oh boy!!

LOL...I type all of that and I have to take a breath because it's so exciting! Imagine there are actually people who don't like fruits and vegetables!!

What things are you enjoying from your own garden or someone else's?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beans are coming in now, as are Potatoes, Rainbow Chard, Tomatoes & Calaloo spinage. Courgettes are rapidly turning into Marrows & the Rhubarb is still going strong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Babble64, reading your post made me so hungry! And I've just eaten pizza!:p I wish I could eat peaches still warm from the sun, it sounds delicious. My parents tried to grow a peach tree once, unfortunately without any success, the fruits were small and not sweet at all.
Today, I ate a few tomatoes from my garden:D

Reaction score
So tomorrow's dessert will be peach pie with pecan sandie topping.

*appears out of nowhere with a plate and fork*
is it ready yet?

i'm hoping i'll be able to pick fruit like that in a few more years.all my trees are too small yet. except for a few cherries, any fruit i've seen and was waiting to ripen a bit more disappeared before i could even try them. apples, pears, peaches, but none had more than 2-10 fruits on them.

Reaction score
You have just made me so hungry! We just finished up with the okra. Now we are starting to enjoy the beans! I love fresh beans cooked with potatoes!

Reaction score
Beans are coming in now, as are Potatoes, Rainbow Chard, Tomatoes & Calaloo spinage. Courgettes are rapidly turning into Marrows & the Rhubarb is still going strong.

LOL...Zigs, here we go with the "British" and "American" again. I had to go look up "Courgettes" (we call them zucchini). Trouble is the site I found had some lovely pictures...and now I want some but don't have any on hand! My beans were taken over by the rogue pumpkin plant...don't think they'll produce this year. How long does Rhubarb produce during the season?

Reaction score
*appears out of nowhere with a plate and fork*
is it ready yet?

i'm hoping i'll be able to pick fruit like that in a few more years.all my trees are too small yet. except for a few cherries, any fruit i've seen and was waiting to ripen a bit more disappeared before i could even try them. apples, pears, peaches, but none had more than 2-10 fruits on them.

LOL...Philpine, not to worry. The pie looked incredible, and actually tasted pretty good too, but I transported it before it was cooled completely, then neglected to unwrap it at my destination. It was rather soupy. :(

As for growing fruit...I've never really tried it myself. Our apple trees are leftovers from my parents' planting and I don't really tend them well, just use the apples for sauce. Here's to a productive life for the ones you're "mothering".

Reaction score
I had to pass up a fresh watermelon that day....didn't have enough cash on hand. It was pretty enough that it almost made me change my mind, though! Never so sweet as when they are picked fresh, then eaten, rather than pick not-quite-ripe and transported.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
LOL...Zigs, here we go with the "British" and "American" again. I had to go look up "Courgettes" (we call them zucchini). Trouble is the site I found had some lovely pictures...and now I want some but don't have any on hand! My beans were taken over by the rogue pumpkin plant...don't think they'll produce this year. How long does Rhubarb produce during the season?

Courgettes is French. Zucchini is Italian :)

Normally stopped picking Rhubarb by july, but its doing well this year, plus I hopefully won't be here for next season, so I might as well use it,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Your post puts me in mind of my weekly trips to my favorite farmer's market. I go on Tuesdays with my mom and we split the produce share box. I've been introduced to a number of "new" foods this way and have had to do some research to figure out how to prepare them. This year I had tomatillos for the first time, chard, purple hull peas...

Ask a Question