Bougain villa growers- please help

Val

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
Hi there

Just joined this forum. Really hoping I can get some help here.

I have recently bought and then planted these 2 Bougain Villa Jennifers in these pots.

I am a very keen and active gardener, but have never grown these before, so I have no idea how to care for them in regards to pruning old flowers. I would like them to grow bushy but high (1,5m more or less) but really want to do the right things to get them to flower very well.

They were beautiful when bought, but now needs attention as blooms are done.

They get about 6 hrs sun a day.
I understand blooms come from new shoots?
Do I have to cut all the spent flowers off? There will hardly be much plant left if I cut the long stems with the spent flowers?

Any help /advice will be much appreciated!
IMG_9102.jpeg
IMG_9101.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
You don't want to prune Bouganvillia until just before new growth appears in early spring. Then just cut off anything dead or diseased and trim it to shape it how you like. Pinch off flowers after they fade so it will keep producing flowers.

Val

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
You don't want to prune Bouganvillia until just before new growth appears in early spring. Then just cut off anything dead or diseased and trim it to shape it how you like. Pinch off flowers after they fade so it will keep producing flowers.
Thanks for the reply!

As you
Thank you for the reply!
As you can see in the pics, there are no dead leaves or diseased ones.

It is spring here now. Still don’t know if I should cut the flowers of or not

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Val I would wait and just let it grow on this year. Next time it goes dormant, and just before spring arrives, trim it back but, don't remove more than 1/3 of the length of each branch. In subsequent years you can do the same and eventually get it the shape you like. Enjoy it, it's pretty.

Ask a Question