Blueberry and Strawberry

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
-10F-0F
Country
United States
Can you plant them now, or what month should I do that. I am interested in anything I can grow in the winter

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I always thought that blueberries and strawberries were best planted in the early spring! I don't think plants would survive too well over the winter. Usually citrus fruits do well over winter, but you'd need an established tree already as the fruit generally takes a while to produce.

Reaction score
Amelia is right about spring time. Usually I plant my berries in the spring so that they won't die throughout the winter. The best time is when we're just coming out of winter, so you will have a ton of goodies throughout the spring and summer seasons.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
-10F-0F
Country
United States
Amelia is right about spring time. Usually I plant my berries in the spring so that they won't die throughout the winter. The best time is when we're just coming out of winter, so you will have a ton of goodies throughout the spring and summer seasons.
thank you

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Strawberries you can plant now, as long as the ground is neither frozen nor waterlogged.

If there is enough warmth left in the soil for them to establish themselves before winter, there is a better chance of a decent crop next summer, especially if they are early June-bearers.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Yes.
I have six strawberry runners which I took only three weeks ago (so had no roots) potted up and showing signs of growing (very slowly at this time of year).
They can either be hardened off in March and planted outside, or, more likely stay where they are in the greenhouse, to provide an early taster of the harvest.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have a blueberry bush in upstate NY. Some of the best times to pick the berries were in August. I freeze them and use the berries all year round.

However, in recently I forgot to in close the bushes and the deer ate all the berries L. No blueberries this year for me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
-10F-0F
Country
United States
I have a blueberry bush in upstate NY. Some of the best times to pick the berries were in August. I freeze them and use the berries all year round.

However, in recently I forgot to in close the bushes and the deer ate all the berries L. No blueberries this year for me.
awww im sorry,

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I always thought that blueberries and strawberries were best planted in the early spring! I don't think plants would survive too well over the winter. Usually citrus fruits do well over winter, but you'd need an established tree already as the fruit generally takes a while to produce.

Those berries in this thread are not common here because I live in a tropical country (Philippines). However, there is place here called Baguio City situated in the mountain province. It has a cool temperature of 10 deg to 20 deg C. Kind of appropriate for strawberries so they have strawberry farms. But when the temperature dips to colder than 5 deg C, expect the crops to be ruined. Tiny icicles form on the leaves and the berries crack due to the cold.

FYI.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Berries in my opinion are some of the best fruits to plant because you can enjoy them all year round. I love freezing my berries and having them through out the winter for making smoothies or pancakes. It's not as easy to freeze other fruits and veggies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think you could try growing strawberries indoors. I have a lot of wild strawberry plants in my apartment and they're doing great. They still bear fruits, even though it's November already:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Yes, we planted a raspberry plant for my mom in May and it is doing well. Once the root is established it will weather the bitter cold we have here and will come back up next spring. We did the same for blueberries and strawberries but we bought the plants from a nursery when they had a better chance of survival.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Those berries in this thread are not common here because I live in a tropical country (Philippines). However, there is place here called Baguio City situated in the mountain province. It has a cool temperature of 10 deg to 20 deg C. Kind of appropriate for strawberries so they have strawberry farms. But when the temperature dips to colder than 5 deg C, expect the crops to be ruined. Tiny icicles form on the leaves and the berries crack due to the cold.

FYI.
Do you mean Fahrenheit Corzhens?
Here in the UK we commonly get temperatures below 5C. and find strawberries plent hardy enough for that.
Indeed, I cannot think of a year where they HAVEN'T had temps below 5C.
Below 0C we can get blackeye on proto-strawberries, but it has to catch the plants at just the right stage of development or they're OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Fruits tend to grow better in warmer environments, I would say early spring. Leafy greens tend to grow best during the cold winter months, I myself am currently planting spinach and kale, and looking to start cabbage soon as well. These types of plants prefer and handle cold weather conditions better than fruits and other vegetables.

Ask a Question