Bird control

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
Birds usually prove a real nuisance especially when fruits ripen. Currently, we are in the mango season and birds are having a field day feasting on ripe fruits. They are likely to spread infections from infected trees to healthy trees. This results in substantial losses. Anyone with similar experiences? I appreciate suggestions for possible solutions.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I use a screen fiber glass net on steel posts for my blueberry, haskap, and throw the net over my strawberries. The cherries I give to the robins, since the tree is too large for a net.

If you live in the county away from neighbors a cannon, or loudspeaker emitting predatory bird calls works but is expensive.

This year I will try a plastic hawk, but am not optimistic.

In the old days a 22 gun shooting all predators of the produce was the method used, but now not possible in an urban environment.

There is no real simple solution.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?RIFCU 3 June 2012 Bird Protection for Blueberry
There are six blueberry bushes in an area 8 by 12 feet which must have protection from birds or there is simply no fruit available. What the birds don’t eat they damage by pecking. The solution chosen was to completely enclose the area.
Four foot wide, one inch metal mesh was chosen. Six foot steel posts were installed at three foot intervals and driven into the ground two feet with a pile driver. The chicken wire mesh was installed and supported with plastic ties. The bottom of the mesh is covered with soil and wood mulch. A removable entry door was made from wood mesh. For the top, fibre glass screening was used, this is used on the strawberries also.This mesh is 8 feet wide and was purchased in a 100 foot roll. The fibre glass is held in place with plastic ties connected to the perpendicular posts. The structure is strong, simple to fabricate, and is completely bird proof.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?WTEUN 31 May 2012 Bird Protection
Bird destruction on my strawberries, cherries, and blueberries is almost 100% without protection. Robins devastate the strawberries and a combination of birds destroy the cherries and blueberries. After trying various ineffectual methods, I settled on fibre glass screening.The screening is strong,wont tear,doesn’t snag,and does no harm to the birds. It was purchased in a roll,eight feet wide,and 100 feet long. It is simply placed over the berries and removed as required for picking. It is heavy enough to stay in place with relatively strong winds.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?ZIKBR 11 June 2013 Bird Protection. Haskap Berries.
A one inch mesh chicken wire with a fibre glass screen top to make a cage to protect the Haskap berries from birds was installed over the seven Haskap bushes.The support posts were six foot rebar. The chicken wire was tied to the posts using plastic ties.Eight foot wide fibre glass screening was used for the top of the structure, tied using plastic ties to the support rebar.

http://www.durgan.org/URL/?XQQOD 17 June 2013 Bird Protection for weeping, fruiting, black fruit, mulberry bush
Fruiting mulberry bush bird protection via a fibre glass screen cage, supported by eight foot rebar and held in place with plastic ties. Trays are placed under the tree to catch the ripe berries when the tree is shaken.Robins eat the berries and defecate on the tree if no protection is provided.This weeping fruiting mulberry produces a black elongated fruit similar to a blackberry, but a bit smaller and sweeter.

Last edited:

Ask a Question