Begonias?

Steve @ Celtic Farm

Flower Farmer | Master Gardener | Earth Scientist
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Begonias can be a bit confusing because they come in different varieties with varying characteristics. Here's a quick breakdown:

Annual or Perennial?
  • In warmer climates (zones 9-11) - Begonias can be grown as perennials because they can survive year-round.
  • In cooler climates - They are typically grown as annuals because they cannot withstand frost.
Bulb or Seed?
  • Tuberous Begonias - These come from tubers (bulb-like structures) and are often started indoors before being planted outside. They actually look like a little stuffed hairy mushroom.
  • Fibrous Begonias (including Wax Begonias) - These are usually grown from seeds, but you can also find them as starter plants in nurseries.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Begonias can be a bit confusing because they come in different varieties with varying characteristics. Here's a quick breakdown:

Annual or Perennial?
  • In warmer climates (zones 9-11) - Begonias can be grown as perennials because they can survive year-round.
  • In cooler climates - They are typically grown as annuals because they cannot withstand frost.
Bulb or Seed?
  • Tuberous Begonias - These come from tubers (bulb-like structures) and are often started indoors before being planted outside. They actually look like a little stuffed hairy mushroom.
  • Fibrous Begonias (including Wax Begonias) - These are usually grown from seeds, but you can also find them as starter plants in nurseries.
I have both and have 3 from bulbs that are really big and I'm unsure what to do with them.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have in my garden, HARDY BEGONIAS. they come up every year. I am in zone 6. this year very full. I put a few in other places, and they transfer very well. Came up in two other places nicely this year. Soon they will be shooting up pink flowers. They do make babies. I tend not to mulch so the babies are free to dig into the soil. Now if I can go out and find this again, I did just recently take a picture of my large grouping on my cell.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Here is mine, not in flower yet.
20240722_175246.jpg

Ask a Question