Basil gone bad all of a sudden

Reaction score
Country
United States
so "perfect " basil plant just starts witth darkening leaves ...every august whether i try new plants or established ones...this happens every year no matter what...plants jammin till this reversal...AND IDEAS?

Attachments

• basil august 20230917_130201.jpg
    basil august 20230917_130201.jpg
    207.8 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Country
United States
looks like sunscald
so thanks but hard to believe its sunscald...they prosper all summer , June and July when sun is much stronger...it just seem =s if plant is young or just growing into maturity, with end of august comes its inevitable decline

Reaction score
Country
United States
Baby plants sunscald easily. Where are you located, New England? 06037 zip is, I think, north of Boston Ma.

Basil is an annual so, they are doomed to decline and the last couple years we've been getting earlier fall weather.

Any particular reason you are growing them from seed this late in summer? It's best to start a few indoors in late winter, plant out after last frost and leave them to grow. Large basil plant's leaves are just as good, (if not better) than small new leaves.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Baby plants sunscald easily. Where are you located, New England? 06037 zip is, I think, north of Boston Ma.

Basil is an annual so, they are doomed to decline and the last couple years we've been getting earlier fall weather.

Any particular reason you are growing them from seed this late in summer? It's best to start a few indoors in late winter, plant out after last frost and leave them to grow. Large basil plant's leaves are just as good, (if not better) than small new leaves.
my pic is from last year...just an experiment bc my reg plants , after productive summer , well. leaves started turning brown. this year did the same thing but also started plants in july which did great until same thing happened toward end of august...yes connecticut. still plenty warm ..leaves starting turning brown on plants started in may as well as july. thought the july starts might do better being "younger" but didn't matter ....all plants in different parts of yard, in ground and pots , all started fading from lush green to browning leaves. also pruned to have bushier more productive plants...and trimmed off flowers to extend life
i've heard that ypu can bring bail; indoors and it grows all year....not with brown leaves unhealthy plants

Reaction score
Country
United States
my pic is from last year...just an experiment bc my reg plants , after productive summer , well. leaves started turning brown. this year did the same thing but also started plants in july which did great until same thing happened toward end of august...yes connecticut. still plenty warm ..leaves starting turning brown on plants started in may as well as july. thought the july starts might do better being "younger" but didn't matter ....all plants in different parts of yard, in ground and pots , all started fading from lush green to browning leaves. also pruned to have bushier more productive plants...and trimmed off flowers to extend life
i've heard that ypu can bring bail; indoors and it grows all year....not with brown leaves unhealthy plants
Are you watering them deeply so that the roots are staying wet deep down? Also mulching them to keep the sun off the soil so they retain moisture for longer? If they're re in plastic pots the sun dries them out quicker by heating the soil right through the plastic.

What about fertilization? A weak fertilizer ever 2-4 weeks may be what they are lacking.

Ask a Question