Banana Trees HELP!

Reaction score
Country
United States
We had a Freeze I cut my Banana Trees off.

Well it has come to the upper 80's and they are Sprouting.

I was going to mulch them once it got cold and staying that way.

What should I do this is first time dealing with this. I was trying to follow Master Gardener friends instructions.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We had a Freeze I cut my Banana Trees off.

Well it has come to the upper 80's and they are Sprouting.

I was going to mulch them once it got cold and staying that way.

What should I do this is first time dealing with this. I was trying to follow Master Gardener friends instructions.

big rockpile
You are in the wrong place to grow banannas. Their growth slows at about 55F. Even a light frost will knock them to the ground. They are a tropical plant but here in the Houston area folks wrap the trunks with NSulate in hopes that there won't be a medium freeze but that rarely happens. Cold doesn't usually kill them completely, it just kills the trunk and foliage so you are out of luck trying to use mulch except to help save the roots. And to have banannas you must have 2 years of uninterepted growth. You are just in the wrong place.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here is what I'm dealing with.

My son said mulch them. Like I told him won't work because it will warm again and they will come through the mulch.

And many grow Banana Trees here.
20241023_143336.jpg

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Here is what I'm dealing with.

My son said mulch them. Like I told him won't work because it will warm again and they will come through the mulch.

And many grow Banana Trees here.View attachment 105675

big rockpile
Sure, they can grow bananna trees but it will frost and their trees will look just like yours. Then in the spring they will repsrout from the roots and the same thing will happen again and again and again. You will never grow a stalk of banannas in Missouri, only the trees for 1 year and then they will freeze to the ground. Believe me or not, I couldn't care less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
And how many bannanas were produced? And I suppose you are going to tell us that you grew that pineapple outside of a greenhouse and those bananna trees didn't died back every year. You can fool some of the people some of the time but you wont fool me. Not when the average low winter temperature in Lebanon is 26F. I've been reading your posts since you started on this forum and I remember all of the questions you raised about your greenhouse and I will say right now that you didn't grow any pineapples in it especially the one in the picture, You can't keep it warm enough. So please, stop with the BS.

Ask a Question